Suggest a 2TB Hard Drive for a budget of 6k

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
^^Finally a positive post about green ;).Can we still extend the warranty of WD green drive,i mean in 2009,when i bought the drive at that time we could extend the warranty!Is that option still available if i buy from Flipkart?

R

Ranger

Yeah, he owns the drive not WD Support ;-). Call up WD to find out if they still offer extended warranty. I think they do bt you may not wanna spend money on what i say abt WD; better ask WD themselves.

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
Asked WD Warranty Support,they told me that warranty extension service is not in India.It's for foreign countries.What a bad news :-(!!Now,will go with seagate..no more choice left now:-(

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ Don't ask the same thing everywhere. I replied in the other thread where you asked the very same question.

z3rO

Journeyman
@gameranand _ Thanks for the help. I first posted here but then I thought it'd be better to post on that newer thread but I forgot to delete the first line of my post here.

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
@Piyoosh,Both are WD Drives,there's a difference in price only!Rest the Drives and capacity-both are same.I read negative reviews about this:WD AV-GP 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD20EURS): Flipkart.com. I recommend this: one:WD Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD20EARX): Flipkart.comas others have suggested me before;i would recommend you to go with seagate instead of WD,because mine WD failed immediately after warranty expiration,both offer 2 year warranty.However,Seagate is a faster one..so go with seagate instead of WD Green/Blue.

gameranand

Living to Play
WD Blue are pretty reliable for sure.

As for performance I think that WD are faster than Segate one at similar spindle speeds.

Last edited:

z3rO

Journeyman
@SahilAr _ The 2 drives you stated have some differences in the way they work and thanks for your suggestion.

"The A/V drives ignore errors, the normal drives will do an error recovery to attempt to get back any data from the platter.

When recording video (security cameras etc) you want an A/V drive that will just record whatever you throw at it, and keep going even if it misses a byte or two. An error in a couple of bytes just causes a minor blip in the video stream, but the rest won't stop. On a normal drive it could go into an error recovery mode and stop recording for 10-30 seconds - and this is much worse for security.

However if you store documents, a single byte error could corrupt megabytes or even gigabytes of important data."

-Source
-Courtesy of gameranand

Btw, its not me whos buying the disk, its my friend Sahil (another one) :p
I have used Seagate for ages and haven't got any bad experiences with it. (touchwood) :p

nginx

In the zone
Is the WD green failure issue really that severe? I am using a green drive for well over a year, no problems thus far. I heard the failures are due to the drive heads being parked too aggressively to save power (around 8sec after idling). Well to be fair WD recommends using Green drives for secondary storage purpose as they are only 5400rpm. How many times a day do you access your movie & music collection anyway? I think for most people its a non-issue if the green drives are used as intended. If you use it as your main OS/Programs drive though, that's cause for concern because the swap file, browser, antivirus, games etc. will keep waking up the drive a thousand times a day.

Top Bottom