Staff member
Re: Steam related discussions

^^already bought the bundle.

Will PM you in case.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

^^not yet, will download it later. Downloading STALKER mod now.

Probably you should see youtube videos first.
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs2Wp-Vc7CI

baccilus

Cyborg Agent

It didn't look like fun to me at all. It says it was released in 1997. And the screen loads everytime you move to th next area like a page instead of scrolling.And just see what they do when they are standing still...LOL...

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Now you can trade games on steam

The Team Fortress 2 hat economy is in full swing, with players bartering, backstabbing and frantically crafting their way to the best items. The carnage is about to spread beyond TF2. The TF2 blog announces that the Steam trading beta is now live, and will let you swap Team Fortress 2 items for unredeemed gift games on Steam.

One of the pleasant side effects of the enormous Steam sales is that you’ll often buy a bundle that contains a copy of a game you already own. Most of the time you’re able to gift this spare game to anyone with a Steam account. The Steam trading beta now lets you exchange a Team Fortress 2 item, say, a tower of hats, for one of those spares.
Sources-

PC Gamer: Steam trading beta will let you swap TF2 items for spare Steam games | PC Gamer

FAQ: *support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6748-ETSG-5417

TF2 blog: Team Fortress 2

Its in beta now. Portal 2 is also coming soon. We will also be able to trade items from other 3rd party devs that participate.

The coolest thing is that you can trade extra games (aka gifts) for other gifts, or for TF2 items atm.

EDIT:No one interested in this cool new feature?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Battlefield 3 discussion!

Well, I have my 1st Steam experience in the HL2 days itself and apparently it was downloading a lots of DRM encrypted stuffs (from what I had got by the onscreen dialogs etc., don't know whether I was right or wrong) from the net despite having the disk. And it was a terrifying experience at dial-up!

And here's my latest experience with Steam: Just installed Steam last week, and on my 2Mbps BB (not unlimited), it took some 15-20 minutes to completely install, and of this, login took more than 5 minutes. And BB speed was top-notch all those time. I really don't know what that 1.5mb installer really does in the background. Even today there was login problems, first it shows not responding, then say cannot connect to my account, on restart it started updating (from my experience it updates more frequently than a firefox nightly build), again task manager shows not responding, then finally the home screen comes, taking a "sweet" 6 and a half minutes in total. I faced similar situation last year and the year before that. And in both cases I promptly uninstall it within a week.

Any solution? Or am I doing anything wrong?

PS: I have nothing against Steam, but because of all these problems, I can't really purchase any Steam specific games. My bad! :(

Last edited:

varunb

Working in an IT company

If you can ask any mod to move your post in the Steam discussion thread, then we can carry on about your discussion there.

Its just bad luck i guess or some kind of problems with your firewall settings. For me, most of the time steam loads in a jiffy. And the security it provides for you a/c is remarkable.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

Well, I have my 1st Steam experience in the HL2 days itself and apparently it was downloading a lots of DRM encrypted stuffs (from what I had got by the onscreen dialogs etc., don't know whether I was right or wrong) from the net despite having the disk. And it was a terrifying experience at dial-up!

And here's my latest experience with Steam: Just installed Steam last week, and on my 2Mbps BB (not unlimited), it took some 15-20 minutes to completely install, and of this, login took more than 5 minutes. And BB speed was top-notch all those time. I really don't know what that 1.5mb installer really does in the background. Even today there was login problems, first it shows not responding, then say cannot connect to my account, on restart it started updating (from my experience it updates more frequently than a firefox nightly build), again task manager shows not responding, then finally the home screen comes, taking a "sweet" 6 and a half minutes in total. I faced similar situation last year and the year before that. And in both cases I promptly uninstall it within a week.

Any solution? Or am I doing anything wrong?

PS: I have nothing against Steam, but because of all these problems, I can't really purchase any Steam specific games. My bad! :(
Try defragging steam directories.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

And why it takes so much time to login? And more than half of the time fails to login despite having no connectivity problem?

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

And why it takes so much time to login? And more than half of the time fails to login despite having no connectivity problem?
Doesn't really take much time for me. Hardly a minute.

Do a fresh install and clear all your temporary files of your PC. And after you log-into steam the next time, change the download region. This might solve the issue.
I see many user having the same problem with no real solution over at the steam forums.

Steam takes an extremely long time to login - Steam Users' Forums

EDIT: I see some users had this problem fixed by adding steam and steam's folder in the exceptions list of their PC security program. And some solved it by deleting the clientregistry.blob file from steam's directory.(but don't forget to take backup of this file).

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Will my games work after changing the download region?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Region changing doesn't work. And deleting clientregistry.blob file result in the file being recreated and Steam starting updating again.

Any other solutions? :(