Starting All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
There is something called Shiretoko which is nothing but 99.99% FF 3.5. I have read some where there is some issue on getting the permission from Mozilla or something like that. However FF 3.5 tarball is available from Firefox website. Download and install simple!

How about getting Google's Chrome from here: :)

*dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

or use the PPA and get daily upgrades.

Chrome has almost replaced FF as my default browser. This build is amazingly fast!!!!

Last edited:
OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
ok good can i use some apps of XP like photoshop and sum games using any virtual PC soft?
wat do u think will it run good on my system ?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Hmm Photoshop runs well in WINE. YOu dont need Virtualisation for that. :p
Many games too run well in WINE if your GFX card is still supported by its company. Check out Wine AppsDB for compatibility. :)
*appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=category&iId=&sAction=view&sTitle=Browse+Applications

Or just google <gamename> + WINE ;)

For the record I had managed to run all OrangeBox games almost perfectly
with WINE :p Plus lot more games are reported to run well. :)
You have native games to play too like Urban Terror, Nexuiz and Open Arena.

Anyway 768 MB RAM is pretty sufficient for VIrtualization. But I doubt Virtualization supports 3D rendering even though latest Virtualbox and VMWare do have some sort of 3D acceleration support. But I doubt they will work.

Krow

Crowman
azzu Try Opera 10 for linux. I like it and use it as FF 3.5 is a memory hog and i havent been able to install catalyst drivers in ubuntu, so.... :)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
azzu Try Opera 10 for linux. I like it and use it as FF 3.5 is a memory hog and i havent been able to install catalyst drivers in ubuntu, so.... :)

Even I'm struggling with Ati Catalyst on a friend's computer. The damn driver freezes Fedora 11, Sabayon 4.2 reports incompatible hardware. Now I'll be trying out Slackware 13 & Linux Mint 7. Which version of Ubuntu you tried installing Ati drivers on? Which chipset? I'm facing the problem with Ati HD 4200 the onboard chipset on Biostar A785GE motherboard.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
For non-gaming purpose if you have a Radeon the radeonhd drivers is pretty good for 2D rendering and Compiz. However it's still not good enough for games, unfortunately.

Krow

Crowman
HD3300 onboard. The repo drivers just don't get installed the way all the other softwares do. It gets stuck at do you want to install third party drivers. I click yes and nothing happens for a long time after which that window disappears. Am I being a naaab here? I'm too scared to install other versions of the driver now as I am in no mood to format. Exams are on u see.. :(

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
HD3300 onboard. The repo drivers just don't get installed the way all the other softwares do. It gets stuck at do you want to install third party drivers. I click yes and nothing happens for a long time after which that window disappears. Am I being a naaab here? I'm too scared to install other versions of the driver now as I am in no mood to format. Exams are on u see.. :(

Why not get drivers from official Ati's website? Don't experiment for timebeing since anything goes for a toss & you are stranded with no pc to use. :razz:

OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
hey guys i dont hav an external GFX card
an inbuilt(intel) gfx so no problem there
actually i wanted to play cricket 07 coz iam addicted to it (because of my love to cricket) have been playing since 2. years
so will download Mint today n8 any suggestions mooore ?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Hmm. Well Cricket, or EA games for that matter do not mostly run with WINE unfortunately. :|
If you use Intel, well the current state of their drivers in Ubuntu and Mint is in pitiable state sadly, good enough only for 2D performance. But it is reported to be improving with the new Ubuntu release.

Anyway go ahead with Mint, it's good. :p

OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
ok guys downloaded MINT(7)iso burned it to CD
the cd boots well ,after selecting live option Linux mint logo appears and it loads for sum time and then blank screen nothing happening i waited for 20mins and again for 40 mins but nothing happens just blank screen
wats the problem ?
i hav checked the cd for defects and none found

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
that is mostly due to hardware support issues(like display drivers). I used to hav this kinda weird issues with my old system for most of the live Linux distros.

OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
i used linux mint (older version) once on my system before
and i also dont have any external gfx card only on board intel gfx
guys plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom