Stand by phone for 10 - 13k

ssb1551

Technomancer
Hi All,

My Galaxy S4 has gone bonkers after a year & 4 months. I don't get network in office & certain areas of Bangalore when the network mode is WCDMA. But when I switch to 2G then its fine. My friends & colleagues do get the network so network issues can be ruled out. I use Airtel so the network is prevalent in the city. Also another problem is the battery drainage : battery drops down by 20% if I am on Whatsapp for 20 minutes or so. I have given up on fixing it. I have tried a few tips & tricks, called the Samsung Customer Care but in vain.

So I wanna go for a standby phone which costs no more than 10 to 13k till the end of this year or start of the next when Mi5 will be available in the country. I better fill out the questionnaire since most of you would want me to do so even if it’s a standby phone.

1. Budget?
Ans. Preferably within 10k but if the phone is worth it then can extend to another 2 to 3k max but I don’t wanna go beyond 13k.

2. Display type and size?
Ans. 5” or 5.5”. Since one of the purpose of the phone will be to read doc & docx files I would like big screen. If the phone has a pre-installed document reader then all the more better. I really liked the document reader in Redmi 1S. I would have opted for Redmi 1S but the 4.7” screen holds me back from getting it.

3. Dual sim?
Ans. Not a necessity but I wouldn’t mind if its there.

4. Preferred choice of brand?
Ans. Any as long as the UI is smooth & there is good 3G reception

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
Ans. Preferably both rear & front

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).
Ans. Any but I guess we can rule out iOS within the budget hehe

7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).
Ans. 3G is more than enough for me.

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
Ans. Ahh! The most important question : I should get good 3G reception since I, like other people, am on Whatsapp for most of the day, make & receive calls (again in the WCDMA mode), good battery back up (I really don’t wanna charge my phone twice in a day like my current plight) and wouldn’t mind a good camera.

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Ans. So far I have sorted out Meizu M2 Note and Lenovo K3 Note since both the phones are for 10k. Lumia 640XL is also an option but I don’t wanna pay 13k for it. I know people may have reservations against Meizu M2 since they don’t have Service Centres but I usually handle my phones with care. Moreover it’s a standby for 4-5 months. I preferred M2 over K3 for its rear camera. Since I don’t game at all the extra 400MHz(correct me if I am wrong) in K3 is not a deal breaker.

10. Any other info that you want to share
Ans. I will appreciate a lot if one of the forum members who own M2 Note could post a mini review.

Thanks for reading this long and don't-know-if-its-a-prosaic post. I really appreciate your patience :)

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
First of all, root your phone and hibernate all apps using greenify. Then measure the battery life. If you still think it hasn't improved, go ahead and get Moto G3 or lumia 640xl.

Last edited:
OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
^ Thanks for the suggestion. I will root it once I buy the standby. For some reason I really don't like G3. It has Snapdragon 410, right? And doesn't have a good camera as compared to K3 or M2 note.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
But what if the phone bricks or becomes unusable while rooting or something goes wrong? I will need a phone for office transport haha. So far I've rooted only my Atrix 2. My mom still uses that.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
buy a cheap ~Rs.700 B/W nokia 1100/2100/similar phone,once fully charged it can last upto a week with moderate call usage.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
But what if the phone bricks or becomes unusable while rooting or something goes wrong? I will need a phone for office transport haha. So far I've rooted only my Atrix 2. My mom still uses that.

Rooting isn't rocket science. You can't brick a phone like S4 during rooting.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
buy a cheap ~Rs.700 B/W nokia 1100/2100/similar phone,once fully charged it can last upto a week with moderate call usage.

Buddy, please read my requirements. I cant read any documents on a Nokia 1100/2100 :D Since I will have to use the phone for 5-6 months its crucial for me. Even after I buy Mi5 it will act as a good back up phone

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Lumia 730 or 640XL hands down imho
ticks all your boxes

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 720 which has more or less similar hardware to the 730 and my 720 lasts 1.5-2 days easily
UI is fluid and extremely stable
its cameras are also unmatched in this price range

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Rooting isn't rocket science. You can't brick a phone like S4 during rooting.

^^ Guess I'll have to root it during the weekend. Even if something goes wrong at least I wont miss any call from Office transport. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Lumia 730 or 640XL hands down imho
ticks all your boxes

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 720 which has more or less similar hardware to the 730 and my 720 lasts 1.5-2 days easily
UI is fluid and extremely stable
its cameras are also unmatched in this price range

Doesn't Lumia 730 have a 4.7" screen?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
^^ Guess I'll have to root it during the weekend. Even if something goes wrong at least I wont miss any call from Office transport. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't Lumia 730 have a 4.7" screen?

yeah buts its an amoled display , making it awesome to read stuff off
I myself am tempted to upgrade to a 730 or 640XL soon because my 720's lcd display resolution is low

^ Thanks for the suggestion. I will root it once I buy the standby. For some reason I really don't like G3. It has Snapdragon 410, right? And doesn't have a good camera as compared to K3 or M2 note.

G3 has good camera, better than Zenfone 2, i think

You can even consider Zenfone Laser @ 10k or maybe Zenfone 2 @ 14k for 5.5" devices. (M2 & K3 are good, just pointing towards other available options)

For 5". Mi4i 32GB or Moto G3 (2GB RAM one)

I think Samsung devices are easier to root because of already unlocked bootloader (It was the case till S2, don't know if its changed). Do backup everything in your mobile when you unlock bootloader, as everything will be wiped (everything !!)

If you brick, use Odin & flash firmware back

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
yeah buts its an amoled display , making it awesome to read stuff off
I myself am tempted to upgrade to a 730 or 640XL soon because my 720's lcd display resolution is low

One of my colleagues has 730. I'll try to read the doc & docx files on her mobile.

- - - Updated - - -

my reply was for to avoid missing any office calls if something goes wrong with rooting.

Oh ok. Got it :)

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
I think Samsung devices are easier to root because of already unlocked bootloader (It was the case till S2, don't know if its changed). Do backup everything in your mobile when you unlock bootloader, as everything will be wiped (everything !!)

If you brick, use Odin & flash firmware back

Oh yeah I forgot about Odin! Damn! Atrix 2 was very easy to root. Let's see how it goes this weekend. Battery drainage is still secondary. Its the calls I don't get when I am in office or certain other areas in city. If I forget to switch to 2G then I miss at least 6-8 calls. I realize that when I go out of office & get an SMS of missed calls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom