Specs of Media Server based on Squid

Syed Irfan

Right off the assembly line
Hi all,

We are required to build a media server for a hospital which will be doing two tasks:

1. Caching web content using Apache and Squid and presenting it to the end users on their bedside terminals

2. Copying movies from another server. A VLC player based service will be used to stream this copied content onto the bedside terminals of patients

Now I want to know what will be the specifications (hardware, software, Operating System, RAM, disk space, machine used etc) for this media server. Anybody got any ideas on this?

Regards,
Irfan

My research shows that at lease for the OS part, Ubuntu or Windows OS would be a good choice. What is your opinion about this? I also want to know your opinion about the other specifications that I asked in the original message.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
Hardware -> Mouse, monitor, cpu, motherboard, cabinet etc
Speed,Ram -> 2.4 Ghz, 512 MB Ram
Diskspace -> depends on quality i.e DVD, 720p,1080p etc and number of movies. Start with 1TB.
OS -> Fedora/ubuntu at init3 for sweet performance

The foremost thing you need is a high speed network connectivity for your intranet

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
A basic configuration would be fine.
For OS I would suggest, Debian. Rock Solid and never lets you down. Your choice of Apache is a good choice for web server, so is squid for web cache daemon.

Top Bottom