Sony hacked again; Sony Pictures this time

sygeek

Technomancer
I never said Sony is not wrong, did I? Let's take this example:
There is an annoying bloody neighbor who gives a damn for any of his people. Now one day just for the sake of it, he makes a cake and distributes it round the entire neighborhood. People find it very good and one cook in the community starts to mess with it's recipe to produce something better. Once the annoying neighbor gets a hold of this and he barges into his house and tries to sue the guy who messed with his recipe and somehow he successfully sues him with the bloody amount of money he got (and then demands more money from the sued guy).
Now the sued guy has got a large social network which finally reaches to a psycho-cook. The serial killer beats the crap of the bloody neighbor to an extent that he would never be able to stand-up. Was that fair, atleast to the psychopaths it was but in the end it was the cook who got defamed more because of this incident.
What the psychopath did was no less than what the bloody neighbor did.

Sony is the same, ignorant bloody company who doesn't give a damn about others. Sony never cared about others, neither their privacy nor their security.

Last edited:
OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
GeoHot put up the crack file online for download. Even I have it in my PC. At the time of downloading it I could have easily cracked my PS3 and game ROMs had already started showing up online. Piracy was the only likely use of that crack [and custom OS which umm I and many of my friends have no idea about or are not interested in]. If he wanted Linux then he should have kept it to himself. Posting it online opens the loophole to exploitation which is what happened.

However even I support George Francis Hotz when it comes out to how he was handled. I think he isnt allowed to code any more for a a defined period of time. I hope he lands up like Frank Abagnale with a good life.

Plain text well thats downright stupid. I must admit.

Leave your door open> A dog comes in poops on your couch> you are stupid

Leave your door open> Thief comes in> Steals everything> You are stupid but the thief is not right

sygeek

Technomancer
Yeah but let's face it you can't blame the thiefs either if you leave the door open :p
Of course you can. People don't have a right to thievery..but yeah.."Precaution is better than cure".
Sony's security vulnerability lied in their stupid security which was cracked with a simple SQL injection, adding to it storing the password database in PLAINTEXT!.

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@sarath do you even know what a hacker is? There's a difference between hackers and crackers.. moreover, the CFW that geohot uploaded didn't support piracy.. keeping it on your PC wouldn't help dude.. install it and then see.. I installed it on my PS3, it was just to run homebrew apps..

Secondly, how would you feel if you send your car like Honda Civic etc for servicing and they remove ABS or something in the name of security.. that's what one felt when OtherOS feature was removed not to mention SACD playback etc etc.. Sony sucks, Period!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
a few weeks ago sony canada was hacked. maybe some store or their official site. now this. long time before 2011 comes to an end. sony, good luck.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
How did you manage to run it on your PS3 and not get banned in PSN? I thought the next update banned online play in broken systems.
If you circumvent the DRM then installing homebrew apps or game roms both are possible. You took a moral stand. How many are going to do the same?

If you attribute virtual loses to physical ones things start to look bad. I dont use my PS3 for anything apart from playing games so it doesnt bother me as much.

I dont know the difference? I thought hacking+illegal=cracking??? No idea. or simply put hack- legal & crack- illegal.

If you wanted other OS why did you update your PS3?

Also I dont love Sony as much as you hate them. They are just fine if you ask me. They have a knack for screwing themselves though.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Who gives a damn about PSN.. I don't.. waise bhi Airtel & other ISPs offering pathetic speeds along with FUP makes online gaming almost impossible..

Regarding circumventing DRM, DMCA isn't applicable in India & India's Fair Use policy states that you can break the DRM for your personal use, not commercial.. secondly, a recent amendment in DMCA legalized breaking DRM & Jailbreaking devices, so it's not illegal even in US..

I updated my PS3 because Sony pressurizes game devs to make games that run on latest firmware or not run at all....

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Are you sure about the last line. I have got a friend who never ever connected his PS3 online. Only recently did he do in on my consistent perusal. But he was playing all along fine. Its either that the game goes online and checks for the latest patch [which i think is the case] or may have some features which are needed in the newer patch that it needs to play. I think its the former as he never once complained about the games not running on his phat PS3 [offline for its entire life].

I dont care much about the DMCA and all that law. I am not even going to read into it. I just dont want gaming to die. I want this industry to live. That is all I am saying. I dont want Santa Monica saying that a day has come when it is more profitable to develop "Farmville" than make the next greek god holocaust saga.

I am on an airtel 4mbps 25GB FUP @1600 pm. It does me well. I think I dont play as much as you guys but the pings are fine. You should try it bro. I feared it would hit the FUP but it seems online gaming doesnt really go into 10s of GBs. [With my experience of playing NFS: Hot Pursuit online on european servers 4hrs/day for a month]
Also I play Dota on my PC for about 5hrs every 3rd day and its doing well.

But if you were using Linux and then it was taken off with the patch I think that is pretty unfair and outright sucked. But if you dont like online play you should have left the system offline. Were you prompted for a patch when you loaded a new game?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
It is extremely easy to sit here and be holier-than-thou and bad mouth organizations and take side with turds who sit all day at home and circumvent security.

Yes, it was bad on Sony's part to store data in methods which are easy to circumvent and by-pass, but I feel it is even worse to justify it.

Remember, it is always the hand holding the knife. Not the other way round.

Someone quoted above, I will reply: Yes, I will blame thieves, if they enter my open door house. Honesty. It is the crux of society and humans leaving together, vs. animals out in the wild. Though there is not much of this left.

sygeek

Technomancer
Lulz? Sony hackers deny responsibility for misuse of leaked data

Who do you see wrong here? Sony's ignorance about their vulnerable site OR Lulzsec's carelessness to leak thousands of data of user's login information online and blaming it on Sony all the way (lol)

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@sarath Yeah, when I was playing Killzone 2 & Uncharted 2, to unlock new achievements it repeatedly asked me to install updates.. moreover, I had to manually disconnect the LAN cable (wifi router of BSNL sucks :p) to stop it from auto-updating..

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Well thats pretty sad. So you are using those work arounds now to play the latest games.
Maybe thats the reason my friend decided to update too.

You should try playing online. Its is fun. I used to play online on a previous BSNL connection without any hassle. Plus it was on wifi on their stupid router. But it worked so I had no reason to complain. Shifted to airtel when I shifted home.

sygeek

Technomancer
LulzSec hacks FBI affiliate, Infragard

Sony Music Brazil hacked (yet another sony defacement) | Sucuri

come on guyz... i paid 10000 for a psp 3004, and what do i get, pay 1000rs more for each n every single game i want to play. this is pathetic, not everyone in that rich in our country.

either sony should lower the price to 100-200 rs else they wont be able to stop the piracy at any cost.

in market you can get your psp hacked for just 300 rs... so 300+ 700(14gamesx50 rs)= 1000 rs... so for the official cost of 1 game you can play 14 games unofficially.. i dont think it's a bad deal.

and about the gaming scene getting destroyed by this piracy, sony can easily handle this if they decrease the royalty for each n every game. game devs are leaving psp/ps3 cause they have to pay alot to the sony for their game and after that everyone gets a pirated copy cause of the outrageous pricing of the games.

Last edited:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
come on guyz... i paid 10000 for a psp 3004, and what do i get, pay 1000rs more for each n every single game i want to play. this is pathetic, not everyone in that rich in our country.

either sony should lower the price to 100-200 rs else they wont be able to stop the piracy at any cost.

in market you can get your psp hacked for just 300 rs... so 300+ 700(14gamesx50 rs)= 1000 rs... so for the official cost of 1 game you can play 14 games unofficially.. i dont think it's a bad deal.

and about the gaming scene getting destroyed by this piracy, sony can easily handle this is they decrease the royalty for each n every game. game devs are leaving psp/ps3 cause they have to pay alot to the sony for their game and after that everyone gets a pirated copy cause of the outrageous pricing of the games.

Any source to prove that point?

Also this topic is not about p1rating games and to defend for that.

BTW It's like most often stated reasons for pirating a game in this forum and we really get fed up with that. So please stop discussing about that here.

sygeek

Technomancer
^He didn't discuss "how to". He just mentioned the price and his opinion. There is nothing wrong with that, let him keep his opinion, you may stay with yours.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^He didn't discuss "how to". He just mentioned the price and his opinion. There is nothing wrong with that, let him keep his opinion, you may stay with yours.

^^

This is what i am talking about.

I am not sure whether it's relevant to topic or not, but i don't want to go off-topic or someone get banned unnecessarily.

Top Bottom