SONY DVD RW Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimTech

Climbing..........
Hi
I hav SONY DVD RW AW-G170A drive on my pc running XP SP3. It does everything right except reading the DVDs, it reads some DVDs though, only 1 out of 10.

And when checking on another pc (my friend's) running Vista, it reads all the DVDs :confused:.
I don't understand where the problem is? I hav finished reinstalling drivers and even XP but the problem remains.
Any solution guys...

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
if i remember correctly..this is the model i once owned and didnt last one year..with low usage..got it exchange under warranty for a new piece....as far as i can remember this model is a defective one..

since you said that in xp it cant read a lot of dvds..you might be interested to see if you can claim warranty and get a replacement

but then as you have said it works well on vista pc..
make sure......
it isnt the cable that is causing the problem..
you check the power cable also..or the power requirement of the PC

you could also try flashing it and you can always flashed it back to the original version if it has no effect on it..

OP
slimTech

slimTech

Climbing..........
Thanks!
i cannot exchange it as it is out of the warranty period. anyway, i will try flashing it with the updated firmware. the power might not be the problem, as it reads some dvds, cds and writes well.
can anyone tell me, the flashing of firmware, updates the drivers in OS or the drive itself? can this damage the drive to scrap?

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
It updates the drive itself. the site you need is:

liggydee.cdfreaks.com
binflash.cdfreaks.com

I tried it around last year, and it worked perfectly after that.

OP
slimTech

slimTech

Climbing..........
thanks dheeraj.
from liggydee.cdfreaks.com, i couldn't get the right firmware for SONY RW AW-G170A.
i downloaded a firmware from binflash.cdfreaks.com but the version is not updated one it seems. it is v1.45a and the current version of my DVD drive is 1.62. is it fine to flash with this one?

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
i am also facing the same prob....flashing the frimware didnot worked for me and also my Drive is out of warrenty..So for reading I use ISO BUSTER....

I am facing the following problem
All CD'S Works, No DVD Works, Movie DVD's works in PowerDVD also Dual-Layer DVD's works...

But most shocking thing is all works in Windows Vista and 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom