Spin Up/Down Times
    Spin Up Time 2.21 sec
    Spin Down Time 3.34 sec

Load/Eject Times
    Load Time 1.37 sec
    Eject Time 2.09 sec
    Recognition Time 6.88 sec

General Information
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.01.2600 Service Pack 2)
Drive: SONY DVD RW DRU-810A [IDE Pri-master 80 connector]
Firmware Version 1.0a
Software used: Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.04
System Info:
CPU : AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ (S939)
Bus Speed : 200 MHz
Motherboard : MSI-RS480M2
Memory : 256 (x 2) MB 400 MHz DDR (DIMM0 & DIMM1)
Video : NVIDIA GeForce 6200 16x (256 MB)
HDD : Seagate 80 GB SATA

AlienTech

In the zone
First of all you need to use a FULL DISK. Every drive will do a good job for half the disk. Its the second half of the disk where jitter becomes a problem, as well as centrifugal forces comes into play that they fail. (Some drives are not good in the beginning but okay in the end because they over compensate for this). You also dont get to see what speed the drive maxes out at. If this is a true CAV then it barely hits 16x near the end. If its a PCAV then it hits 16X around 3-4 gig data area...

How much did it cost? What about noise? Tray problems, looks??

Thanks...

AlienTech

In the zone
Sony have introduced its tenth generation of DVD burners. The internal DRU-810A and external DRX-810UL models support the industry's fastest 8X DVD+R Double Layer (DL) recording speed, and can burn up to 8.5GB of video, data, music or images on compatible media in about fifteen minutes.

The 810 series of DVD burners also features 4X DVD-R DL, 16X DVD±R, 8X DVD+RW, 6X DVD-RW, 48X CD-R and 32X CD-RW recording.

Sony DRU-810A DVD/CD Rewritable Drive

ATAPI (EIDE) internal interface

DVD+R DL: 8X P-CAV (max.) writing

DVD-R DL: 4X CLV (max.) writing

DVD+R: 16X CAV (max.) writing

DVD+RW: 8X Z-CLV (max.) rewriting

DVD-R: 16X CAV (max.) writing

DVD-RW: 6X CLV (max.) rewriting

DVD-ROM reading (single layer): 16X CAV (max.)

DVD-ROM reading (dual layer): 12X CAV (max.)

CD-R: 48X CAV (max.) writing

CD-RW: 32X P-CAV (max.) rewriting

CD-ROM: 48X CAV (max) reading

Dimensions: 146 x 41.2 x 172.5 mm - excluding bezel (W x H x L)

Compatible with Microsoft® Windows® 2000 / Windows XP

Burst data transfer rate: 66.6 MB/s max. Ultra DMA66

Random access time: 135 ms (CD-ROM), 130 ms (DVD-ROM)

Buffer memory: 2 MB

Buffer under-run error protection technology: Sony Power-Burnâ„¢ conformed

Recording method (CD): Disc at Once, Track at Once, Session at Once, Packet Writing

(DVD): Random Access Write (DVD+RW/DVD-RW/CD-RW), Sequential Write (DVD+R/+R DL/+RW, DVD-R/-RW/CD-R/RW)

Compatible disc format: DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-ROM, CD-DA, Video CD, Photo CD (multi-session), CD TEXT, CD Extra, and others

Available at Rashi Peripherals RS 4200! But some places sells it for 3900.

Sony DRU-810A is a rebadge BenQ DW1640. The best drive on the market. Guess the liteon rebadging does not work so good since most sony drives are liteon's but with better firmware.

OP
hcp006sl

hcp006sl

Journeyman
AlienTech said:
Sony DRU-810A is a rebadge BenQ DW1640. The best drive on the market. Guess the liteon rebadging does not work so good since most sony drives are liteon's but with better firmware

Just compare this result with the following:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=230721&highlight=#230721

It's evident that no improvement was found in performance excepting for spin down time and recognition time. Then what's the benifit of shifting to BenQ?

AlienTech

In the zone
hcp006sl said:
AlienTech said:
Sony DRU-810A is a rebadge BenQ DW1640. The best drive on the market. Guess the liteon rebadging does not work so good since most sony drives are liteon's but with better firmware

Just compare this result with the following:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=230721&highlight=#230721

It's evident that no improvement was found in performance excepting for spin down time and recognition time. Then what's the benifit of shifting to BenQ?

Well for one the burnt disks actually work.... For me, I dont look any further no matter how fast it burns it or how it does it. It seems a priority since I actually try to use the data I burnt onto DVD's/CD's...

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
are 810 A dvd writer available in market
i think they will be available in 1 month

if available please tell where in bombay

thanks

also i have win 98
i cannot install win xp on desktop pc
can i use this drive or any one have 800 A dvd writer on win 98

thanks

OP
hcp006sl

hcp006sl

Journeyman
medigit said:
@ hcp006sl,
can u name the shop from where u can get the SONY 810 A ?

Supreme Technologies Ltd.
35, Chittaranjan Avenue, Kolkata - 12.
(Near Chandni Metro Station)

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
I asked the rate when hcp006sl said it is available in the market

i asked rate in chembur
they said 4400 - 4500 Rs

why there is so much difference
when i asked the seller said we have to install and come to kalyan .also we have to come several times if drive has problem so taking transport charges in advanced

this way if drive has problem we will give it to the centre automatically where repairs are done u dont have to go

del_x

Broken In
AlienTech said:
Sony DRU-810A is a rebadge BenQ DW1640. The best drive on the market. Guess the liteon rebadging does not work so good since most sony drives are liteon's but with better firmware.

Nice Review buddy,i'm planning to get a drive in the next few days and have gone thru many threads here and have come down to two drives Liteon SOHW 1693S & Sony DRU-810A ur above comments have put me in a fix,if the sony drive is a rebadge of the benq drive shuld i go for the benq drive,i'm not quite aware of their quality,if some one has purchased it lemme know if its worth it or shud i go for a Sony or Liteon?

AlienTech

In the zone
The only 2 drives available right now and should be considered is the LG 4163B or later and the BenQ 1620 or up. I got the LG but if I could find +R disks I might have gone for the Benq/Sony. The 4163B has everything but the newier models have +R DL writing and such. But for RW/R/RAM media the speeds are the same. It is also faster than the BENQ by a few seconds because it starts writting at 7.8X while the BenQ starts off around 7.2X. Dont even think about liteon or samsung etc.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
hi people ,

who says benq dw 1640 is not available in mumbai .. I just bought one at lamington road for 3.5 k - black ..

now forget abt all the other shit writers .. just go and get this one cos this is a really damn good stuff .. I can even give u the names of the shops if required ... now why people are thinking twice before going for benq? is it because of the benq brand is not well known in india? common this is a really really great stuff guys .. so get one today and forget abt the other brands .

del_x

Broken In
Thanx guys this has really helped,i'm going to Lamington rd today and might just purchase a Benq :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom