[SOLVED]Query regarding laptop Battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

utkarsh73

Journeyman
I have a small query. As I play games on my laptop continuously for long hours, I have to keep the laptop connected to AC-power. Thus I have to keep it connected for a long time, even after the battery is fully charged(performance reduces if I disconnect).
I want to know if the laptop battery gets damaged if it is overcharged???
If yes, is it advisable to remove the battery and run directly on AC-power??

I have a 15 months old Lenovo Ideapad Y560 with Core i3 350M/4GB/Radeon HD 5730. Its battery performance has not dropped much. With very less load(like preparing a document, surfing) it gave 3hrs of battery backup and performs the same now.

red dragon

Master troll
Whatever you do,most battery will be semi dead after 3 years.
Do not bother yourself with it.

rajeevk

Journeyman
Now a days adapters come with auto-cut option. When battery gets full charged it stops further charging of battery and your laptop works directly on AC. So don't bother much.

sdmaverick

Journeyman
While I agree with the gentlemen above, I make it a point to remove the battery & stay connected on AC charger when at home. I game a lot on my laptop (Asus K Series K53SV-SX521D Laptop) and noticed that I get better fps on AC power which is understandable & make sure battery is around 70% charge when I remove it.

Cheers!

Freedom.Forever

free speech, forever
While I agree with the gentlemen above, I make it a point to remove the battery & stay connected on AC charger when at home. I game a lot on my laptop (Asus K Series K53SV-SX521D Laptop) and noticed that I get better fps on AC power which is understandable & make sure battery is around 70% charge when I remove it.

Cheers!

you REMOVE the battery??? you mean
the laptop runs on AC adapter, solely, with battery kept apart?

sdmaverick

Journeyman
you REMOVE the battery??? you mean
the laptop runs on AC adapter, solely, with battery kept apart?

Guys, YES! The laptop can run SOLELY on AC power :-D Don't tell me you haven't tried it already? As long as AC/DC is powering the machine it'll run!

Cheers!

red dragon

Master troll
Agree. How a laptop can run without a battery? Sounds strange.:shock:

What is so shocking?
Ofcourse any laptop can run without a battery(ofcourse attached to a working adapter and electric socket.

Many OCD people do take out the battery when on AC power.

Your post as a matter of fact will be a shocker for many.

You people should refrain yourselves from posting in laptop buying advice.It is sad to know many self proclaimed geeks here can give lengthy lectures on gpu and benchmarks and what not without actually having the bare minimum knowledge about computer.
Now something like a Mac vs. Windows thread crops up,these people will jump at the earliest opportunity to ruin everything with expert comment without actually knowing anything about either!!

Last edited:
OP
utkarsh73

utkarsh73

Journeyman
You people should refrain yourselves from posting in laptop buying advice.It is sad to know many self proclaimed geeks here can give lengthy lectures on gpu and benchmarks and what not without actually having the bare minimum knowledge about computer.
Now something like a Mac vs. Windows thread crops up,these people will jump at the earliest opportunity to ruin everything with expert comment without actually knowing anything about either!!
I totally agree with RedDragon. Its a seriously basic thing which every laptop or rather every computer user must know. Laptops are not like mobile phones.
And seriously, don't ever advise anyone in a laptop discussion forum.
I have used my old laptop on direct AC power many times under some unavoidable circumstances. Once I have to use my laptop for more than a month as its battery was damaged.
I game a lot on my laptop (Asus K Series K53SV-SX521D Laptop) and noticed that I get better fps on AC power which is understandable & make sure battery is around 70% charge when I remove it.
Any specific reason for keeping battery level at 70% while removing it?????
Many OCD people do take out the battery when on AC power.
@red Dragon, whats your take on this problem and what is OCD???

sdmaverick

Journeyman
I totally agree with RedDragon. Its a seriously basic thing which every laptop or rather every computer user must know. Laptops are not like mobile phones.
And seriously, don't ever advise anyone in a laptop discussion forum.
I have used my old laptop on direct AC power many times under some unavoidable circumstances. Once I have to use my laptop for more than a month as its battery was damaged.

Any specific reason for keeping battery level at 70% while removing it?????

@red Dragon, whats your take on this problem and what is OCD???

Its a lithium ion battery...research suggests storing the battery around the mentioned figure instead of 100% or too low a charge.

@red dragon

a battery is removed and the laptop is used on AC power for a variety of reasons as mentioned by a few people here (read: battery damaged, low charge, gpu throttling on DC recognized in asus bios drivers etc). Does not amount to an entitlement of an OCD. We're all entitled to our take on hardware.

Cheers!

OP
utkarsh73

utkarsh73

Journeyman
Its a lithium ion battery...research suggests storing the battery around the mentioned figure instead of 100% or too low a charge.

Really!!!!!!I didn't knew that!!!!!!!
And please!!! tell me what is OCD. I have heard this term in some mental cases, but I don't know what actually it is. Does it have anything to do with this OCD???

sdmaverick

Journeyman
Really!!!!!!I didn't knew that!!!!!!!
And please!!! tell me what is OCD. I have heard this term in some mental cases, but I don't know what actually it is. Does it have anything to do with this OCD???

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
Obsessive–compulsive disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers!

red dragon

Master troll
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Most people suffer from it at some point of our lives.

Last edited:

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
I want to know if the laptop battery gets damaged if it is overcharged???

Chargers have auto-cutoff. It's Overcharging isn't possible.
If yes, is it advisable to remove the battery and run directly on AC-power??
No, keep it in.

I have a 15 months old Lenovo Ideapad Y560 with Core i3 350M/4GB/Radeon HD 5730. Its battery performance has not dropped much. With very less load(like preparing a document, surfing) it gave 3hrs of battery backup and performs the same now.
there you go.

sdmaverick

Journeyman
Go through the following links:

1. *superuser.com/questions/12838/should-laptops-remain-plugged-in-when-their-battery-is-100-charged
2. Battery while plugged in?
3. BatteryCare - Proper laptop battery usage guide
4. *forums.cnet.com/7726-7587_102-3001619.html#3001619

In a nutshell, in case you are gaming on your laptop (or any other heavy workload for that mater), the overall components tend to heat to higher temperatures quite obviously. Heat being the biggest enemy of li-ion batteries, will adversely affect it. Therefore, removing it when plugged in to AC power for longer durations & heavy work load possibilities has a perfectly logical explanation.

People should really use Google, hardly takes 2 minutes for some solid information! :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
utkarsh73

utkarsh73

Journeyman
The 3rd link was very helpful. Thanks sdmaverick. Now I will remove the battery while playing games.

saurav_wow

Broken In
Just a thought...

Anybody who is using their laptops solely on AC power (ie. by removing the battery).. be advised to use an "Uninterruptible Power Supply".

You dont want to be without the battery in case of a Power cut as it may damage internal components such as the Hard Disk..

Thanks.

sdmaverick

Journeyman
Just a thought...

Anybody who is using their laptops solely on AC power (ie. by removing the battery).. be advised to use an "Uninterruptible Power Supply".

You dont want to be without the battery in case of a Power cut as it may damage internal components such as the Hard Disk..

Thanks.

Rightly pointed out. I have power backup at home & then only do I remove the battery. Make sure you're prepared for the same guys!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.