Software To Burn DATA on DVD-RW

HackerX

Broken In
Hi,
I want to burn data on empty dvd-rw.
I know these days people store data on HDDs but still...
I have a LG DVD Writer and using Windows 7 OS.
I will mainly burn data dvd which can be read from any PC easily.
Should I try Nero or other software and which version will works flawlessly on the above OS ?
Also need to know how to write burn disk using the software.
Don't have much experience in this matter.

PS: My LG DVD burner is OEM and not comes with any free burning software like Nero.

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Nero is paid software. It's good, fast but expensive. You can Try BurnAware Free.
Things to keep in mind when using CD/DVD writing software
1. Understand the difference between Multi Session writing and Single Session writing (Finalize disk)
2. Use lower burning speeds for better success e.g. 4x or 8x even if the media and drive offers high speeds like 16x
3. Disable antivrus and avoid any additional CPU intensive tasks when burning is to be done. DVD burning needs constant supply of cached input data (Inspite there's usually buffer under run protection mechanism)
4. Use good quality branded DVD media. Using cheap / loose packs of media may result into burn failures
5. Understand the difference between DVD Recordable and DVD-RW. (Re-writable) and choose the suitable media
6. Choose Verify option to check for actual data verification after successful burn
7. Further inputs depend on what software you choose. More in its help files.

Last edited:

thatsashok

peace panda
Windows 7 comes with disc burn tool inbuilt via WMP or Windows DVD maker for media files. I think there is a data disc maker option as well.

Flash

Lost in speed
Why don't you use the inbuilt feature to write data to disc? It's really simple.
How to Burn a DVD in Windows 7

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
If you're using Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, you won't need any third party software to burn your CD or DVD. However, you'll need to make sure your computer itself is equipped with CD or DVD Writer: it should have a media burner supported by your correspondent drivers.

Step 1. If you have all the prerequisites in place, do the following.

insert your blank CD or DVD into the media drive. The quality of a burned CD or DVD depends on several things: the brand of CD or DVD, the brand of media drive and the size of data you need to write on CD or DVD (the longer is the writing process, the longer the disc is exposed to a possible error).

Step 2. From the desktop screen, open File Explorer.

Step 3.Your empty DVD or CD should be seen under "Devices and drives". Double-click it.

Step 4. You'll see a "Burn a Disc" box appearing. Type in a name of your CD or DVD in the "Disc title" field and, from the CD/DVD usage options, choose "With a CD/DVD player". Click "Next".

Step 5. Add the contents to your future CD or DVD. Copy the contents of their folder and paste them into blank CD/DVD window or simply drag the contents there.

Step 6. Right-click the white area of the window. From the displayed context menu, click "Burn to Disc".

Step 7. In the "Burn to Disc" box, select the desired recording speed. Usually, the slower is the burning speed; the better is the quality of data writing on CD or DVD.

Step 8. Click "Next" to start burning your CD or DVD. The writing process can take from several minutes to half an hour, depending on the speed of the media drive, and current data quality & format.

Step 9. When your CD or DVD is ready, you can take it out. Check your CD or DVD by opening it on your computer.

thatsashok

peace panda
Win 7 SP 1 covered the same removing the third party dependency for burning discs. @HackerX do try and let us know

P.S & OT : @bssunilreddy Reddy garu full service centric. Do you work in service or customer relations ?

OP
HackerX

HackerX

Broken In
I was trying BurnAware.
Did not face much issue to understand the UI.
Burned a 16x DVD-R and made a Data Disk(UDF).
I selected 4X speed for burning but after burning texts showed average burning speed was 7.xxX(near 8X speed) and took near 10min to burn.
Writing speed were 11080KB/s.
I guess speed was 8X even after selecting 4X speed.

I heard that to make life of optical drive longer we should always keep a disk inside the drive.
Is it a myth ?

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
^I always keep recovery disk inside drive..
My DVD player was jammed and it wasn't opening easily, same thing happened to my old computer DVD drive. So I kept tried keeping CD/DVD in it and it worked well.
From that time I keep CD/DVD inside Drive.

But depending on how your BIOS and operating system are configured, it may slow down boot a bit.

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
From my experience following things can increase the life span of your DVD Drive

1. Use lower speeds for writing

2. Regularly clean the lens using lens cleaner

3. Use the drive intermittently, so that the drive mechanics is in use

4. Keep the tray dust free by spraying IPA cleaner once a while

I never keep the disk in the drive. First of all it can slow down the boot times. Secondly in my observation the drive may spin randomly unnecessarily with disk in it. I have not seen any impact on life of drive by not keeping disk in it always. My first CD Writer purchased way back in 2002 (IDE Interface) still works perfectly. I still have preserved it as an antique piece and test in occasionally using IDE to SATA converter!!

Exception, the CD is always there in my car audio system. I never take it out. It also has never given me any issues for last 5 years.

OP
HackerX

HackerX

Broken In
Thanks for your replies ! :)

My blank DVD-R not support less than 8X speed.
I will try to burn at least one disk once in a month and will put one disk(to read) one in a week.
If lens cleaner not expensive then I will buy it soon.
BTW,how to use a lens cleaner ?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
It's not mandatory that you have to burn a disk once a month! Just use the drive even simply by inserting disks in to it! DVD drives are now very less in use actually.
one way of cleaning is spray IPA cleaner on the tray. Lens cleaner is optional. It's a disk with a very light brush embedded at specific points that gently rubs off the lens when inserted. I have used it a few times, once in 2 - 3 months and so far not faced any issues. I got it in a local market.

One word of caution though, usually to my best understanding lens cleaner disks are CD ROM (VCD) type. In case they are ever made as DVD type then it won't work in a CD Drive (Older Car Audio systems) As CD Only Drives won't play DVDs

Top Bottom