software piracy- Scenario in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaltab

In the zone
hello everyone,
FIRST OF ALL, I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT I AM NOT GOING TO SUPPORT PIRACY HERE, I AM JUST TELLING PRACTICAL CONDITIONS IN INDIA AND ASKING YOUR VIEWS AND COMMENTS ON THEM.
I want here a clear discussion about the pirated softwares nd games.
As we all know that piracy is illegal everywhere nd so in India, but i would like to put my views on it, I want to ask,
1. How much percent of all Indian pockets that are using computers allow themselves to buy Genuine softwares?
i dont think more than 20%,
2. we all talk about anti piracy, but we should atleast tale a look at prices of genuine softwares from Indian poverty point of view,
Today, India produces lakhs of computer engineers every year, they are capable to do research, experiment, analysis, study, solve, think about the technology, and the queries,
but if my question here is, no Indian would have allowed to use even a single pirated software. How many Engineers will then be produced in India.
the question is Do the pockets of our dad nd ourselves really allow to buy a windows worth 20k, ms office worth 10k, and other sw/gamesworth 1k each.

i ask you, if you were not allowed to use even a single pirated thing, would you be here today, would you have this much knowledge today, how many of you would have bought genuine in ur home/ personally for use?

AN APPLE IPHONE IS COSTING THERE 20K, HERE 40K, AND WE DO WHAT? JAILBREAK IT. I ASK TO PUT THE PRICE OF IPHONE 40K IN AMERICA, THEN DEFINETELY THE QUANTITIES SOLD WILL BE LESS THAN NOW.

SO ACCORDING TO ME, WE ARE MANY HUNDRED YEARS BEHIND FROM EAST, AND WE( MANY OF US) ARE BOUND TO USE PIRATED, TO GET KNOWLEDGE, TO ENJOY GAMES, AND OTHERS.

I WANT TO KNOW YOUR VIEWS ON IT. WAITING FOR COMMENTS.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
1. How much percent of all Indian pockets that are using computers allow themselves to buy Genuine softwares?
i dont think more than 20%,

I would count less than that.

2. we all talk about anti piracy, but we should atleast tale a look at prices of genuine softwares from Indian poverty point of view,
Today, India produces lakhs of computer engineers every year, they are capable to do research, experiment, analysis, study, solve, think about the technology, and the queries,
but if my question here is, no Indian would have allowed to use even a single pirated software. How many Engineers will then be produced in India.
1) Not all engineers are capable of doing research, solve problems, etc.
2) Even if no Indian is allowed to use a single pirated software, still there will be plenty of engineers out there. I think you must have heard of "Free and Open Source Softwares".

the question is Do the pockets of our dad nd ourselves really allow to buy a windows worth 20k, ms office worth 10k, and other sw/gamesworth 1k each.
Depends! Ask yourself, if those softwares are worth that price. If yes, go ahead and buy, if no, then leave it.

i ask you, if you were not allowed to use even a single pirated thing, would you be here today, would you have this much knowledge today, how many of you would have bought genuine in ur home/ personally for use?
If I were not allowed to use pirated software (ex. Windows), I would have been more talented, because I might have started using FOSS (ex. Linux) very early days of my computer literacy.

AN APPLE IPHONE IS COSTING THERE 20K, HERE 40K, AND WE DO WHAT? JAILBREAK IT. I ASK TO PUT THE PRICE OF IPHONE 40K IN AMERICA, THEN DEFINETELY THE QUANTITIES SOLD WILL BE LESS THAN NOW.
Okay, what's the point?

SO ACCORDING TO ME, WE ARE MANY HUNDRED YEARS BEHIND FROM EAST, AND WE( MANY OF US) ARE BOUND TO USE PIRATED, TO GET KNOWLEDGE, TO ENJOY GAMES, AND OTHERS.
NO! WE ARE NOT!
We are not HUNDRED years behind east. And we are DEFINITELY NOT bound to use pirated softwares. You will always have choices in Open world. :)

OP
digitaltab

digitaltab

In the zone
thnks for d reply. but my point is and why hv i called us hundred years behind is because the same things are more cheaper in america according to their economy, but when they convert the prices in inr, i know they reduce that price very much. eg a game thr is $59, here is 999inr.
but our economy is so weak that most of us cant even afford this 999inr., thts why i've called us hundred years behind.
and definetly my friend thr are so many options like linux nd other open source but u tell me, can you do all the things exactly the same way with those open source freewares.
can u play all such games, or can u hv experience of working on the awesome windows 7,
and my friend, freewares are not always thr to solve our problem. eg. no other software i've found till date like adobe photoshop, nd its not freeware.
are the freeware antiviruses really strong enough?
The point to put the example of apple iphone is to show how weak our economy really is to enjoy such gadgets and electronics.
and not in electronics but all else also, u knw petrol price in pakistan and bangladesh is around 45inr. and in usa its equivalent to 42inr. and do u knw we are one of the most costly consumers of petrol. now can u clarify this?
bangladesh dude? can u imagine?

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Hi dude imagine this for a moment

You are lost in forest.A beautiful girl was also lost like you and you find her.Now what happens depends on you attitude.

Piracy= You are ra*ing the girl taking advantage of the situation.As you dont have the ability to interact with her or money or whatever.(Illegal)

Licenses soft /Genuine= You start Flirting with her.Entertain her.You have a relation with her with her consent .and do whatever you want.
(Legal)

The consequences depend on the action and attitude.Same is the situation in India.

No offense.Just giving example. :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
u posted it in wrong section...post in community discussions..

I agree we are behind in economy...but not so far behind...

can you do all the things exactly the same way with those open source freewares.
not all but most of them..:grin:

can u play all such games, or can u hv experience of working on the awesome windows 7,
we have emulator in Linux to play windows games..

and my friend, freewares are not always thr to solve our problem. eg. no other software i've found till date like adobe photoshop, nd its not freeware.
are the freeware antiviruses really strong enough?
there are very good free softwares
GIMP & Avira Free Antivirus

The point to put the example of apple iphone is to show how weak our economy really is to enjoy such gadgets and electronics.
if we can't afford iphone then we afford ipod touch (just like what I did ;))

and not in electronics but all else also, u knw petrol price in pakistan and bangladesh is around 45inr. and in usa its equivalent to 42inr. and do u knw we are one of the most costly consumers of petrol. now can u clarify this?
this one is the current issue in India now

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot

You are lost in forest.A beautiful girl was also lost like you and you find her.Now what happens depends on you attitude.

Piracy= You are ra*ing the girl taking advantage of the situation.As you dont have the ability to interact with her or money or whatever.(Illegal)

Licenses soft /Genuine= You start Flirting with her.Entertain her.You have a relation with her with her consent .and do whatever you want.
(Legal)

The consequences depend on the action and attitude.Same is the situation in India.

Less hassle in first analogy.

OP
digitaltab

digitaltab

In the zone
whoa!!! whoa whoa!!!!
@ gopi_vbboy, u r callin our country a forest, calling the softwares as girl... u r not considering the situation here...
@ zangetsu: i am new here, i didnt knew tht discussion topics are to be posted in community..., and dude, i pod touch and iphone 4s are two different things....
i agree with all ur points, but u cant deny to whts truth, how many games from xbox and ps3 do we play on pc by emulator? except tekken 3.
can you play gears of war series, or tekken 5, on ur windows 7 pc, through emulator or else? jus as the same wd linux.
emulators to play these games doesn't exist.
and finally do tell me, are the freewares linux, sw, etc. are really provide the ease of use like we get in windows 7.
and u knw wt? the day when all the indians will start using only freewares/ linux or genuine, tht day, price of linux will also be high enough to buy....

Zangetsu

^^Dude check this out (Read it thoroughly from start to end)
Linux vs Windows 7 | TuxRadar Linux

whoa!!! whoa whoa!!!!
dude, i pod touch and iphone 4s are two different things....
I know that but inner hardware is same only difference is calling & sms...
overall I can explore & enjoy the mighty iOS...:lol:

i agree with all ur points, but u cant deny to whts truth, how many games from xbox and ps3 do we play on pc by emulator? except tekken 3.
can you play gears of war series, or tekken 5, on ur windows 7 pc, through emulator or else? jus as the same wd linux.
emulators to play these games doesn't exist.
I was talking abt Windows Emulator in Linux which runs windows games in Linux & not abt console emulators :grin:

Q:if u don't support piracy then why u discuss abt other people playing with piracy?

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
thnks for d reply. but my point is and why hv i called us hundred years behind is because the same things are more cheaper in america according to their economy, but when they convert the prices in inr, i know they reduce that price very much. eg a game thr is $59, here is 999inr.
but our economy is so weak that most of us cant even afford this 999inr., thts why i've called us hundred years behind.

If you consider only "technology", then yes, you are right. Gadgets cost more here then eastern countries.
Now consider News Papers. The average price of newspaper in US is $ 0.99, which roughly converts to Rs. 49/-. Now tell me, how much money do you pay for your newspaper in India?

All things will NEVER be same in whole world. Learn!

and definetly my friend thr are so many options like linux nd other open source but u tell me, can you do all the things exactly the same way with those open source freewares.

Might not be the same way, but may be the better way most of the times. :)
Considering how you are talking about this whole thing, I am starting to think that you really don't know much about Free and Open Source Softwares.

and my friend, freewares are not always thr to solve our problem.
You know what? Most of the softwares I consider "consider work done" are (atleast) free if not open source.
For example:
Media players: VLC media player (free), Media Player Classic (free). Programming: Eclipse (free), NetBeans (free), hell XCode (for Apple) is also free.
Office Suits: LibreOffice / OpenOffice.Org (free). I agree they don't compete MS Office head to head, but considering they are free and they get your work done, they are best for me.

How many more examples you want?

As I already mentioned, you can't compare economy just by gadgets.

Agree!

The points I skipped are already answered by Zangetsu.

Zangetsu

@Shivam24: this don't change anything about piracy & also it leads to no where so further discussion is just a verbal debate...lets stop it here

what do u say Garbage?Am I right?

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
and finally do tell me, are the freewares linux, sw, etc. are really provide the ease of use like we get in windows 7.

HOLD ON! Before anything, please tell me how many Linux distros have you used? And for how much time you have used Linux?

and u knw wt? the day when all the indians will start using only freewares/ linux or genuine, tht day, price of linux will also be high enough to buy....

For god's sake, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get yourself familiar with what Free and Open Source Software means. Then come back and make your arguments.

@Shivam24: this don't change anything about piracy & also it leads to no where so further discussion is just a verbal debate...lets stop it here

what do u say Garbage?Am I right?

hmm... You are right. But I am enjoying it! :p

Zangetsu

@Shivam24:we had this type of discussion on piracy before so same discussion is pointless...that too in wrong section.

OP
digitaltab

digitaltab

In the zone
i wud like to add that the prices of newspapers, nd other things r high thr cuz people thr can afford it.
and so the prices r low in india.
but wt i wanna say that prices in case of sw/games are low here compared to east. but not in that ratio, not in exactly that way,
people here still find windows, ms office, games, costly too much to buy...
and talking economy, i wanna add that people in india are economically nothing compared to americans.
even the farmers there earn an income more than a bank manger gets here, and indian farmer gets what? commits suicide due to poverty.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Distributions like Ubuntu and Mint are 10x easier to use than Windows 7.

don't talk about things you are not aware of.

Windows 7 Home Premium = Rs. 4800

Microsoft Office 2010 = Rs. 3400

Unlocked iPhone 4 32 GB? $649 i.e. Rs. 32500.

Unlocked iPhone 4S launching this month will be expensive. Prices are same over there and in India as far as unlocked phones are concerned.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

(Legal)

lol..

ORLY?
*mukeshbhavsar.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/donky.jpg

OP
digitaltab

digitaltab

In the zone
luks like d discussion is shifted to linux, while i was tryin to discuss the piracy about other costly softwares.
GUYS, ACCORDING TO YOU, LINUX AND FREEWARES IS A SOLUTION.
BUT THAT DOESNT STOP PIRACY, PEOPLE WD BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF COMPUTER USE WINDOWS, GAMERS USE WINDOWS AND ELSE,
I WANT TO DISCUSS THAT ACCORDING TO CURRENT PRICES AND SCENARIO OF PRICES OF SW/GAMES IN INDIA, WHAT CAN BE DONE TO AVOID PIRACY, AND HOW TO CONVINCE THOSE TO BUY ORIGINAL who used pirated?
is there anyway?
cuz prices of genuine ones r too high,
u suggested to use linux nd else,
but will they shift themselves to linux for the sake of anti-piracy
is there any other way, so that the one who uses windows doesnt hv to shift himself to linux while avoiding piracy?

J

Joker

this is the most active forum in india for computer hardware related tech discussions.

i see people buying computers worth from 40,000 to all the way to 1 lakh. spending 17 thousand on a processor...25 thousand on a graphic card.

but they still dont spend 8k on two vital softwares.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Please, even if you forget Linux. A Windows license costs less than ₹4k, and an Office Home and Student Edition comes for under ₹4k. That makes the price less than ₹8k for Windows and Office combined. A price to pay over 3-4 years, since you can use your software for a LONG time and it's supposed to be bought once. Since people use their computers for over 3 years, this is like < ₹250 per month in average. Please don't tell me you can't afford less than ₹250 for two piece of software which you depend so much to do work.

Aside from Windows and MSO, you don't have to buy any other software if you're short on cash. Microsoft themselves provide Microsoft Security Essentials, the best AV IMHO. As for Image Editing/Management, you can use Irfanview and GIMP for advanced image editing. There's Paint.NET to do the job.

For students, you get most development tools for free. Netbeans, Eclipse, MonoDevlelop, Microsoft VIsual Studio Express, MySQL, what not.

All of these can be done with staying with Windows and Microsoft's office formats. And you always have the option of FOSS to replace any of them.

OP
digitaltab

digitaltab

In the zone
Distributions like Ubuntu and Mint are 10x easier to use than Windows 7.

don't talk about things you are not aware of.

Windows 7 Home Premium = Rs. 4800

Microsoft Office 2010 = Rs. 3400

Unlocked iPhone 4 32 GB? $649 i.e. Rs. 32500.

Unlocked iPhone 4S launching this month will be expensive. Prices are same over there and in India as far as unlocked phones are concerned.

chk this out: Windows 7, Microsoft Windows 7, Buy Windows 7 Online at Microsoft Store

and this is the current price of windows, when it was launched the prices were around 20k, thts y i mentioned above. ok?
you'll not buy battlefield3 after a year for 299inr cuz it is rt nw costing 1499inr, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.