So...how fast is Arch Linux?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
[youtube]yC5eBdwi4Vs[/youtube]

[youtube]nkvd1Vbm2Jg[/youtube]

Blazing fast, isn't it?

I'm using Arch Linux with kernel 2.6.37-6 and KDE SC 4.6.

Laptop specs
  • Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 Ghz
  • Intel GMA 950
  • 120GB 5400RPM Hard Disk
  • 1GB DDR2 RAM

[youtube]gUtdhx0DLfo[/youtube] [watch in HD]

Screen recorders are not perfect at 1280x800. But still have a look. :)

MEGAUPLOAD
MEGAVIDO

iinfi

mekalodu
hey ... i v never used anything other than RH/centos/OEL (all same build) n suse (not much diff)..
i found RH/centos/OEL and SuSE seem to be the most widely used ... i v never seen servers running on arch linux or any other distro of linux .... may be bcoz there is very little enterprise level support for these?

how diff is arch linux from the others?

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
hey ... i v never used anything other than RH/centos/OEL (all same build) n suse (not much diff)..
i found RH/centos/OEL and SuSE seem to be the most widely used ... i v never seen servers running on arch linux or any other distro of linux .... may be bcoz there is very little enterprise level support for these?
What you've said about enterprise support is true. But personally speaking, I love running my LAMP stack on Arch over every other distribution.

Read these:

*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux
*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

:)

In simple words, Arch is a minimalistic distribution. You only install things which you actually need. You start with command-line and then end up downloading and configuring everything manually. You actually end up having a very fast operating system. Also, Arch is a bleeding-edge rolling release distribution. The packages which you get are always latest unlike Debian which aims for stability.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Arch is not supposed to run on servers, it uses bleeding edge software, something not exactly desirable with a server OS (as you know server OSes generally use heavily tested software as in Debian, Slackware, CentOS, etc.)
Arch is an OS for enthusiasts, and developers IMO.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
GNOME is ultra-fast too.. me on 64-bit with Opera 11 with 45 tabs, Amarok, pidgin. and still it is using only 1.2 GB!!..

PS :- Any help for installing HP 1018 on Arch Linux? I tried everything.. it isn't working :(

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
PS :- Any help for installing HP 1018 on Arch Linux? I tried everything.. it isn't working :(
Facing problem with hp-setup?? And the proprietary plugin not getting downloaded?

If yes, then read this: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/open-source/91551-dark-side-arch-linux-12.html#post1328377 :)

What I did was I created a copy of /usr/bin/python2 and renamed it /usr/bin/python. hp-setup then easily downloaded the proprietary plugin and worked like I charm. After this, I deleted /usr/bin/python.

I presume that you've installed cups and hplip already properly.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Solved it.. I installed the foo2zjs package from AUR.. it is working now.. had to blacklist the usblp module in /etc/rc.conf file.. it worked then.. I had to uninstall hplip too..

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I think I will be third time lucky. first time, some issue with media. second time, issues with partitions. let's see what the third try has in store.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Take a printout of the Arch Linux Beginner's guide if you don't have a second computer at your vicinity..

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Blazing fast, isn't it
I'm using Arch Linux with kernel 2.6.37-6 and KDE SC 4.6.
Laptop specs
  • Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 Ghz
  • Intel GMA 950
  • 120GB 5400RPM Hard Disk
  • 1GB DDR2 RAM
Screen recorders are not perfect at 1280x800. But still have a look. :)

Which software did you use to record screen? Looks pretty good!!!

Top Bottom