Small Traders Complain to CCI on Flipkart Etc. Fair Enough?

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
Dozens of small brick-and-mortar retailers have banded together to seek protection from e-commerce companies, which they say are undercutting them with predatory pricing. The retailers, mostly from Bangalore - home base for Flipkart, India's largest e-tailer - have written to the Competition Commission of India, complaining that their online counterparts are selling goods below cost and skirting Indian laws on foreign direct investment in retail.

Hari Rastogi, a Bangalore-based seller of electronic goods who is galvanising support among traditional retailers, argues online commerce firms are gambling that they will capture market share by selling below cost during the initial years. Moreover, in his letter to CCI, he questioned the legality of operations by foreign-funded online retailers. "When venture capital funding is not allowed in e-commerce, these companies are registering offices in Singapore and routing the money in for the same business," he wrote on October 20.

Source:Price War: Retailers write to CCI; accuse e-tailers of predatory pricing - The Economic Times

Dear Small Local Vendors,
If you are jealous at Ecommerce Sites Product pricing and the Quantity they sell please follow the Ecommerce Model Route or Kiss my a*s

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
If flipkart is selling items below cost price at a loss then it sucks. As now take all market share, kill all sellers, then later price higher ?
Well somebody better beat FK ass with new model and keep prices always low...;) win for me.

Flash

Lost in speed
What? Flipkart is selling products at lesser price?
They even cancel a bought product, and make the same product reappear with a higher price.

Flipkart's success is mainly of the online trust, they've gained over the years.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
At first the traders were worried about foreign retailers undergoing predatory pricing...Looks like the indian retailers have taken a leaf out of that book...

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
Prices on flipkart are usually higher compared to local prices for me.

they should fear wallmart and amazon iMO:mrgreen:

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
Flipkart pricing was Bad earlier but from a month or so, their pricing is equally competitive with Snapdeal and Amazon.in

I do not Get what's the problem with these Guys if Flipkart or other Site is selling it for cheap. There was Indeed a FDI violation by flipkart and other Cos that Respective Investment boards have fined them.

Look at the website of People who support the cause? You'd Realize they're none other Ch***ya's doing Business at MRP.
Let’s now punish them:
1- Let's place Cash on delivery orders for Rs.40000.00 rupees items every alternate day and cancel when delivery boy comes to delivery. This will make them to lose their fat by Rs.1000.00 at least.

2- Whenever you are free call to their customer care and waste their time. This will increase their customer care expenses.

Some online retailers in India are like BIGDE BETE of their BIG PAPA of USA. They are getting so much money for doing so much of experiment in India and kind of playing GAMBLING. Every six months they are changing their business models, spending heavily on advertisements, selling everything to everyone at much below their cost prices, running business in huge operating losses and that is adversely affecting the traditional physical retailers.
There can be possibility if some enemies of our country or terror outfits giving funding to these MONKEYS to do so much drama and make lakhs of retailers loose their piece of mind and livelihood.
About

.jRay.

Youngling
Why the f*** does the court even accept such cases. It's pure business. The consumer will buy the product from wherever he wants to.

Hrishi

A fair competition always keeps the market healthy. If market and pricing gets biased for one vendor , it's most likely going to hurt customer's a$$ ultimately.
But i don't think anyone is establishing monopoly in this context. It's a battle between E-Commerce websites , and not just one vendor vs the world.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Brick and mortar stores are more expensive to run per item than online stores.

Don't forget that. So sometimes there might be a small price difference where the local retailer will be higher priced.

One should use both places to keep competition and the economy healthy.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Maybe if the brick and mortar store owners treated their customers properly, didn't try to fleece them at every turn and were a bit knowledgeable about the stuff they were selling, they wouldn't be crying their eyes out now. For what its worth, they can go forth and multiply.

tubelight

Broken In
A lot of brick and mortar stores now have their own e-commerce websites. The lesson is simple, adapt or die. That's the idea of a free market. This same nonsense was thrown about by these stores when Big Bazaar was expanding. Most standalone retail shops(most, I say) are basically thugs charging what they want for products. Most of the times, products are sold over the MRP. Cold drinks is a good example, "sir the cost is for the fridge". Fridge my ass.

I'm happy to see them go out of business. The sad part is, there are many honest retailers too and while they may survive because the community likes the store and buys from it out of loyalty, in the long run, the internet will simply take over.

Adapt or die.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Evolution of Indian market.

"Adapt or die" as tubelight rightly said.

ashs1

Padawan
its like Shishio Makoto said :

Survival of the fittest : the strong shall survive & the weak shall perish..

Top Bottom