Small shock when touching cabinet & burning smell from ups

srdigit16

In the zone
I reconnected my old computer after a few months & was able to use it for browsing, but when touching the top portion of the cpu it gives a small electric shock. I have shutdown the system & the ups was connected to power, but after sometime some burning smell seem to come from ups. For now have disconnected everything. A guest who was present says CPU shock is normal & can be prevented by attaching a small wire in the CPU.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Check home earthing to solve shocks.

UPS might have issue, get it checked.
have a doubt regarding earthing, My current Lenovo laptop charger has only 2 pins does this mean laptop don't need earthing? But my external monitor has 3 pin plug & old HP laptop (I think) also had 3 pin charger

Also it is just shock or using it without earthing can cause damage?

have a doubt regarding earthing, My current Lenovo laptop charger has only 2 pins does this mean laptop don't need earthing? But my external monitor has 3 pin plug & old HP laptop (I think) also had 3 pin charger

Also it is just shock or using it without earthing can cause damage?

Earthing is always recommended in a house, not sure of extent to which it harms the devices. Talk to an electrician about it.

Your Lenovo laptop might not have exposed metal parts, hence 2 pin.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Some AC circuits have additional insulation layer and they may not strictly need 3 Pin plug. It’s generally called double insulated design.

However I suppose your PC in question is a desktop connected to your UPS. It could be that there’s a fault in UPS. Try plugging the PC PSU directly to wall socket and test it out at other sockets also.

Where exactly are you touching the CPU? Are you referring to CPU or Cabinet? Your title says cabinet but details say CPU.

Touching CPU or Heatsink while the system is ON may give rise to static discharge that could damage the electronics. If you are just touching the external part of the cabinet that’s OK.
It could also be that the fault is developed in the PSU? If you want to check out voltages use a DMM.
Also make sure that you are not using any extension boxes in between, they could be poorly designed and not properly earthed.
Take the system to local repair shop and test it out there on their mains supply as well as using a test replacement PSU.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Some AC circuits have additional insulation layer and they may not strictly need 3 Pin plug. It’s generally called double insulated design.

However I suppose your PC in question is a desktop connected to your UPS. It could be that there’s a fault in UPS. Try plugging the PC PSU directly to wall socket and test it out at other sockets also.

Where exactly are you touching the CPU? Are you referring to CPU or Cabinet? Your title says cabinet but details say CPU.

Touching CPU or Heatsink while the system is ON may give rise to static discharge that could damage the electronics. If you are just touching the external part of the cabinet that’s OK.
It could also be that the fault is developed in the PSU? If you want to check out voltages use a DMM.
Also make sure that you are not using any extension boxes in between, they could be poorly designed and not properly earthed.
Take the system to local repair shop and test it out there on their mains supply as well as using a test replacement PSU.
I meant cabinet only, I detected the shock when my hand non intentionally touched the top portion of it when I was connecting a data cable on the back side

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
I have observed that whenever i touch the ends of the 3.5 mm audio input jack of my sony speaker with a current detector-it lights up.Does that mean the speaker is leaking current or may have an earthing issue?BTW it comes with a 2 pin power plug. Could it harm my PC if I connect it to this speaker via this wire?

Once i asked a sony service center technician about it and he said that its normal and that there's no need to worry-but i am not entirely sure if he was telling the truth.

I have observed that whenever i touch the ends of the 3.5 mm audio input jack of my sony speaker with a current detector-it lights up.Does that mean the speaker is leaking current or may have an earthing issue?BTW it comes with a 2 pin power plug. Could it harm my PC if I connect it to this speaker via this wire?

Once i asked a sony service center technician about it and he said that its normal and that there's no need to worry-but i am not entirely sure if he was telling the truth.
Usually earthing issue on any such shock case. I don't get shock from 3.5mm jack of my 2.1 speaker, it has a 2 pin power plug as well.

For 2 pin power plug speakers, I don't know how earthing will help though.

Top Bottom