Slow login, no taskbar, no Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Ok, there was this power cut and I didn't have the time to shut my computer down. Later when I restarted it,

-the login take a minute to complet (usually it takes 3seconds),
-there were no taskbar (pressing the super key don't show the start menu),
-the desktop icons are there.
-there was no login sound (infact, no sound device is recognized even after login),
-My dial icon is missing and so is the option to create a new pppoe broadband dialer.
-I can't install any thing.

A look at services.msc shows that a whole slew of services are not running and don't have the "play" button enabled to start them up either.
The thing I installed in the previous session was tuneup utilities 2006 and Ace Mega Codec Pack. I did some tweaks in tuneup utilities but I tried restoring them back and restarting to no avail. I uninstalled ace mega codec pack too. But no difference.

Is there any chance of redemption? I am running off linux hdd right now. Will a scanreg restore or sfccheck do the trick or should I upgrade/reinstall? (Hope not)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You can try repair before upgrade/ reinstall if everything else fails. I dunno what exactly would the problem be but surely something's become corrupt as you must have realised youself too. Hope things turn out properly.

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Since I had no system restore turned on, I quick formatted and reinstalled. But I backed up my documents and settings folder and some app .ini files. So every app behaves as if there was no reinstall. But I just hope I don't have to face this again.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Can you help me understanding how apps work after reinstall if you've only kept .ini file. If i'm right the registry information is also important. Can you explain me how you did this?

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Not just the ini files, also the Docs and Settings folder. Almost all of the apps that I use (and care) use the docs and settings folder to stow away their settings. Resistry, as far as I can guess, is used for the MRU list or registration information and stuff like that.
While backing this folder , just remember to
-backup only the logins you want
-don't include the 'windows' folders or the user.dat and such system files.

U can do this same thing by using the 'files and settings transfer wizard' but it didn't work for me the first time I tried. (for a full account, link)

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
YA the Documents and Settings Folder contains all the apps settings .I backup that mainly for FireFox as I have a number of Extensions and Themes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom