Singularity takes form as Midori

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Some might know about Microsoft' Singularity OS, well now the online MS community is abuzz with leaked info about Midori which is supposedly based on Singularity. Here is some info:

Microsoft is incubating a componentized non-Windows operating system known as Midori, which is being architected from the ground up to tackle challenges that Redmond has determined cannot be met by simply evolving its existing technology.

SD Times has viewed internal Microsoft documents that outline Midori’s proposed design, which is Internet-centric and predicated on the prevalence of connected systems.
One of Microsoft’s goals is to provide options for Midori applications to co-exist with and interoperate with existing Windows applications, as well as to provide a migration path.

Building Midori from the ground up to be connected underscores how much computing has changed since Microsoft’s engineers first designed Windows; there was no Internet as we understand it today, the PC was the user’s sole device and concurrency was a research topic.

Source

Hmmm ... so I wonder where does this leave Win 7?

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Midori is a Gtk+/WebKit Browser currently in the alpha stages.
But i guess they'll have to change the name of app as MS will no doubt have had it trademarked.

so I guess both MS and the midori browser will have to leave the option of trademarking the name which is already owned by some no-name liqueur.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Midori is not the name of the product that will be sold, its an internal name. Like Longhorn was. The final product might not be called Midori. Everything is not - sue them

An intresting observation:
SD Times has viewed internal Microsoft documents that outline Midori’s proposed design, which is Internet-centric and predicated on the prevalence of connected systems.
I guess MS can't laugh anymore about the fact that linux is growing mainly because of the internet. Its natural that they have finally started to take the challenge posed by super secure linux systems with centralised online repositories seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom