Shutdown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

choudang

Padawan
all the experts... can you help me out?

i'm using a Biomatric Voice Recognation Login Control [don't need to type passwords.. just a word needs to login in]. It is working very good for me although it is actually meant for Windows 2000 series [for Win XP, Pro version].

Now im facing the problem. when i shuted down my machine... after displays all the XP msg's .... it goes to black screen. means stucks after killing the services.. i tought it hangs.. no, not hangs.. keyboard, mouse are responding. i have waited upto 10 mints. what to do. any idea.

:( all the experts, briniacs and to all... give me a solution, i don't want to see no replies like other posts.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Try it:

open regedit and nevigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

And in right-side pane, create following String values (or modify their values if they exist):

AutoEndTasks - 1
HungAppTimeout - 1000
LowLevelHooksTimeout - 1000
WaitToKillAppTimeout - 2000

Now nevigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

In right-side pane, create a String Value:

WaitToKillServiceTimeout and set its value to 2000

Hope it'll help u :wink:

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
thanks bishal.... i did as you guided and i'll let you know.
BTW: is it occur due to biomatric login that i'm using?

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
Bishal.... not working. after making the changes... no changes... don't know what to do.. should i have to unistall the loggin

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
try reinstalling the Biometric Password checker or watever (its new to me)... i think its the root of all troubles as it itself doesnt gets killed.. BTW y r u soo paranoid for having a VRS as a password ? :?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
__Virus__ said:
hey vishal what does LowLevelHooksTimeout and WaitToKillServiceTimeout do?
LowLevelHooksTimeout:

This tweak changes the time to wait to kill a service, which is not responding.

WaitToKillServiceTimeout:

Many times when XP is shutting down a dialog appears saying the system is waiting for a service to close. This tweak determines how long the system waits for services to stop after notifying the service that the system is shutting down. This tweak will set the time to 2000 miliseconds that expires before this warning appears.

warrior said:
Bishal.... not working. after making the changes... no changes... don't know what to do.. should i have to unistall the loggin
Do one thing!

When u want to shutdown the windows, open task manager and End Task of the biomatric login application!
Now shutdown ur system. and check whether it shuts down normally or u see blank screen again!

It'll help in determining whether the problem is due to this login s/w or nething else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom