Votes: 15 40.5%
  • No, save environment.

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I think this is more of a purist versus liberal view of the game than rather an issue with the existence of the IPL itself. Although I would definitely like to point out some things which I found quite harsh.
Sachin has redefined the art of batting in the IPL. Only 3 sixes till now. He plays cricket, the rest are merely wild swingers of the bat.
Make no mistake, I love seeing the mastermind at work. But saying that everyone else are mere wild swingers is a rather incorrect observation.

As far as the IPL goes it does have its ups and downs I guess. However the thread posters reasons to kick out IPL is amazingly absurd.
2. When we say that India has nearly 26 crores poor people (according to census of 2001), we are wasting crores of rupees on IPL. Is this fair, if all these would have been given to many policies run by govt., wouldn't it lead to some if not much upliftment of those poor family.
Seriously how much development have gone on before the existence of IPL. On the contrary what if I said that thousands actually did get work just because of the existence of the IPL. Or even better do you think any of this is Tax Free? How much of these taxes are being used for any of the policies run by the Government. Why not even utilize the IPL to develop the above mentioned populace by imposing higher tax on these games and utilize it for something good for the people? Implement something like Education cess or whatever you want to name it just for its development?

Pretty much every sport has its non pure state or tactics which attracts alot of people to it. Its not like the original game died out. If the longer format does die out then I see alot of distress among the sport. From my view I don't see that happening.

However one must agree that the game has significantly been customized for the IPL. Here's what Gill said and I agree with him to some extent. Ironically everything he said has been mentioned in this thread also :D .
"What the IPL is doing, the bowler is only the victim and the bat, now you have a mongoose bat (and) I look forward to a cobra bat. The boundaries have been shortened ... the whole thing is to entertain the masses. And the bowler is just an instrument for this promotion. IPL is fundamentally business..." Gill said.
Reference to TOI Newspaper
Definitely a good read if you ask me and he raises quite a few valid points. Ultimately money is going to be the main focus of the IPL, so expect plenty of tactics to come forth just to make those coffers grow. As long as you stay far away from modifying the traditional version and prioritize promotion the same way the IPL has then I don't see issues.

This is my opinion of course, please don't hunt me all over Kerala to stab me if I contradict your views.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Sums nothing, I dont like domentic first class cricket coz I dont like my own states competing.......it in no way implies any "anti rashtriye" thing, infact it proves my Indian Love as I dont like my own states competing with each other.....
LOL Joke. How do expect young players to develop then? Meh.
This Indian Love thingy is just an excuse. It's not like they are rioting or anything :lol:

rishitells

Always in Dreams...
From the Times of India Paper-
IPL neither has a world audience nor a genuine league culture. It is merely about owning teams on the strength of economic and not sporting power, and attracting crowds through a variety of sporting and non-sporting gimmicks, including foreign cheerleaders, and late night partying for those who can afford it.
It's definite that IPL is not merely cricket. To make it more lucrative and shiny, they've added the glamor. Is it what we want from cricket?

Sachin has redefined the art of batting in the IPL. Only 3 sixes till now. He plays cricket, the rest are merely wild swingers of the bat.
True...
Most of the batsmen in IPL look for more and more runs, and they opt for blind hitting instead of playing technically.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
It's definite that IPL is not merely cricket. To make it more lucrative and shiny, they've added the glamor. Is it what we want from cricket?
Please define the scope of the word "we" in this line? Are you quoting all cricket fans or a particular segment? If you refer to all cricket fans , then are you 100% sure that there are no cricket fans who like the IPL ? Because the Poll states otherwise. The only thing in this question I don't understand is are you implying that "cricket" has changed considerably after the introduction of the IPL ? If so please quote an example. In other words can't these two forms just co-exist?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only thing in this question I don't understand is are you implying that "cricket" has changed considerably after the introduction of the IPL ? If so please quote an example.
The modern One-day international is completely influenced by World Series Cricket.

IPL is the WSC of the 21st century. He just can't seem to accept this.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Well. The IPL ride is a roller coaster.It has its ups and downs. But the crests are seemingly lower than the troughs. On a higher note, the local guys get an exposure which the Ranjis lack. The IPL is a perfect platform to showcase your talents and display them on a platter. But, coming to think of it? Is it really necessary. The Indian Team is decided on a certain pattern and even if a few players under perform, the brand is enough to put them on a plane to West Indies. Other than that, we get to see legends like DADA, Gilchirst,warne and others battling it out after years of retirement.

Coming to the negative aspects. Players like jadeja with little or no experience in the international arena are tagging themselves and pestering for money. Certain players are trying to quit international cricket to get themselves lucrative offers in the IPL. In all respects, an utter mess. But then, more enjoyable than 50-50s or tests. No one has the patience nor the interest anymore.

way2jatin

Journeyman
see with due help of IPL sehwag is not playing WC t20 due to injury who was an important player for good start.
What you will about this now

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
see with due help of IPL sehwag is not playing WC t20 due to injury who was an important player for good start.

Injury is another thing it can happen to any player anytime. The players are not getting enough rest which degrade their performance which is another problem for the upcoming T20 WC.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Play the other n-1 players who seem to be doing good in the IPL at the moment . If your team revolves on a single player to win a match then I'm sorry that's a team fail.

Lol. . I expected this. Lalisp Modi is too crooked to be clean. Anyways, afa cricket and exposure to youngsters is concerned, IPL has succeeded. It's brought more attention to Indian players, and allowed us to watch Gilly, Hayden, Hussey play against each other. If that wasn't fun, I dont know what is (at least for kirket)

Irony isn't it? Just 2 weeks ago, Lalisp was among 50 most influential individuals from the country (acc/ to India Today). I bet they must be kicking themselves :D

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Theres an article on the post match parties in the telegraph where they claim that city models and foreign cheerleaders happen to make a lot of money after the initial fashion show and the hoopla gets over. Wel, you can pretty much guess whats going on.Around 14 crores have been credited to KKRs account owing to the post fest parties. Make the IPL transparent like the major soccer leagues across the world and we may have a winner here.

Rahim

Married!
^No wonder he is a dreamcatcher :D

Manipulation is the essence of business. We all do it :period:

Now players are coming out to distance themselves with the administration a if they knew nothing about IPLGate :|

nix

IPL should be banned as there is an overdose of cricket in india. cricket is all the TV and newspapers ALL the time.

The media glorifies corrupt businessmen and the commoners fall for it.

The only way you can get indians to play other sports is by banning cricket.

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
I love cricket,but I hate the importance the majority of us are giving to it. And speaking of these IPLs & T20s they were just time wasters. :x. I voted NO

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

IPL should be banned as there is an overdose of cricket in india. cricket is all the TV and newspapers ALL the time.

The media glorifies corrupt businessmen and the commoners fall for it.

The only way you can get indians to play other sports is by banning cricket.

I Agree Completely with u pal. +1 :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom