Should i go for the Mac Book Pro???

Anurup

Broken In
Guyz i am looking to buy a loptop latest by next month .....and as this will be my first laptop I'm utterly confused which one to choose...:confused:
From what ive read from this forum and other sites and heard from my relatives and friends ive locked on the brand...ie. either..DELL or Apple...:|
Stretching my budget i can buy the Mac book Pro...but i am really concerned whether paying around 25-30K on a macbook is worth it or not??? :confused::confused:
Here are the three laptops that i hope to choose from... :unsure:

:arrow:13inch macbook pro(base line model) or (above base line model)
Specifications:
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED, back-lit, glossy, wide-screen display with support for millions of colours with 1280x800 (native)
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB L3 cache or 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 4MB L3 cache
4GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory or 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
500GB 5400-rpm hard drive or 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (for both the models)
Stereo speakers with subwoofer
OS X Lion
Cost: base model around 72K and the above base model around 90K

:arrow: Dell New Inspiron 14R Special Edition
Specification:
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM Processor (6MB cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (English)
14.0"(35.6cm) HD WLED True-Life (1366x768)
6GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M DDR3 2GB
Waves MaxxAudio 4.0 studio-quality sound suite + Skullcandy Speakers (2x 2W)
Cost: around 62-65K

See im a joining a engineering college this year only...so am not sure exactly what softwares ill be using :unsure: ...so at the best i guess ill be using laptop for programming in C,C++,Java and MATLAB, GIMP
Will also be doing a little gaming like FIFA 13, NFS: Most Wanted 2 , Counter Strike, :hitman: Hitman: Blood Money and if possible Assassins Creed (any of the editions)
Will be watching some movies...720p and 1080p....and some music as well.
scree size ...i prefer anything between 13" to 15" :chillpill:
Will like my laptop to work without probs for atleast 5years. :)

My most concern is... if its worth paying extra 25-30K for the MacBook Pro in terms of better quality, usefulness,stability and lifespan....than guess ill buy it...else i will go for the Dell Inspiron 14r se.
Please guyz reply.....any help will be gr8ly appreciated :)

aroraanant

Explorer
If you are planning then forget about gaming as they are not made for it.
Apart from that Macbook Pro's performance can't be compared to any other laptop.Its is just outstanding.
You just pick any windows laptop with same or even better configuration, and try to open more than 20 tabs in any browser it will give you a lot of trouble.And in my Macbook Pro I open 50 or more tabs at a time almost daily without any hassels

randomuser111

Technomancer
LOL!
Hahaha aroraanant I can open a 100 tabs in my Vaio no problem :p

Anyway as aroraanant said, yes it is kind of worth it to spend extra for apple macbook pro. Mostly for the bragging rights and the bling. If you don't intend to game much then go ahead with Macbook Pro.

OP
A

Anurup

Broken In
@aroraanant and randomyser111
Thanx for ur replies...
@All
is gaming absolutely not possible in macbook pro???? Like even games like NFS:MW2 and FIFA13???
Also ive heard from my frndz that its better to have a windows os for an Computer Engineering student...as it allows one to know about the most used os...and also that there are many softwares that donot work on OSX...which are required my during my B.Tech course????
Even ive heard that most games donot work in OSX but worls on windows???
I get it that a OSX is a better os than windows ....but what are the added benefits.....are these benefits worth paying 25-30K xtra.
Or shuld i settle for a dell now....and save for a mac for after 4-5years????

Last edited:

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Go for the macbook pro. Gaming is possible by using a virtual machine or dual booting.

[YOUTUBE]nsnTdMQMPhM[/YOUTUBE]

OP
A

Anurup

Broken In
@aaruni
will games like FIFA 13 and NFS:MW2 run smoothly even without a dedicated graphics card????
Culd u pls tell me the added benefit of having a mac instead of a windows pc????
Also is it true that an apple laptop last longer than an other companies laptops???If so what r the reasons??

aaruni

The Linux Guy
the retina macbooks don't have a 13 inch model. The new line up has the same specs for both the laptops: Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors

OP
A

Anurup

Broken In
@aaruni
I wont be able to afford the retina display.....atmost i can afford the 13inch i7 mac book pro....

aaruni

The Linux Guy
i don't think you should go for the 13 inch model. Over-heating has been reported. It is probably because of the graphics and the processor being on the same die. (read this on the apple support forum)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
You can go with the Vaio adimax bought. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks/160201-sony-e14a-series-official-thread-review-d.html

randomuser111

Technomancer
If u wanna go for VAIO I suggest get S15 instead of E14A if u can afford upto 65k. 15 inch size but only 2 kg weight. Also has an IPS Full HD screen which would be better for programming thanks to the greater real estate. Gaming is also great as it has a GT640M LE that can be overclocked to extract GT650M performance with good temps.

OP
A

Anurup

Broken In
Thanx to all those who replied.... :)
i
want to buy a dell or am apple product...so a its a no for vaio....
b/w the dell inspiron 14r se and the mac book pro 13 (not retina)....which one should i go for