Shifting to Ubuntu..

connoisseur

Broken In
OK, so i got pretty bored with my XP on my old rig and now I'm thinking of trying linux.
1. Which Ubuntu Version will be most compatible for a P4 processor, 1.5GB RAM. I have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS but not sure if i should install it.

2. I'm a total newbie in linux world, so I have no idea, would the installation be complex?

I can't dual-boot, I don't think 80GB would be enough to manage both the OSes and their apps. So once I wipe out Windows & install Ubuntu, I'll be on my own (not sure if I'll be even able to establish the net connection :oops:)
So I need a few good instructions/advises to keep in mind before that.
Please help.

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
Before you do anything read this

1. You can easily install any released version of Ubuntu on your PC. Linux is highly known for running on old computers with a nice performance.

2. Always take a Backup of your data, before starting to install a linux operating system.
Ubuntu is very easy to install, not much complexity involved except hard disk partition and selection of partition.

3. You can use dual boot option also.

before proceeding to installations, please read the information and online documentation on the following websites:

UBUNTU Manual
Official Ubuntu FAQ
Unofficial Ubuntu Starter Guide
Ubuntu Forum

nims11

BIOS Terminator
my advice
install Linux Mint 12 using wubi (just mount the iso file of mint and autorun). It is safe and just like installing another software.
after you are a bit comfortable with Linux, install any linux distro through booting.

darshanrathi29

Right off the assembly line
Before you do anything read this

1. You can easily install any released version of Ubuntu on your PC. Linux is highly known for running on old computers with a nice performance.

2. Always take a Backup of your data, before starting to install a linux operating system.
Ubuntu is very easy to install, not much complexity involved except hard disk partition and selection of partition.

3. You can use dual boot option also.

before proceeding to installations, please read the information and online documentation on the following websites:

UBUNTU Manual
Official Ubuntu FAQ
Unofficial Ubuntu Starter Guide
Ubuntu Forum

thanx dat was helpful.. I have similar configurations and was goin for the dual boot option with ubuntu 11.04 and XP!

njathan

If you are wanting to 'try' linux (e.g. ubuntu), I would advise you install it on a pen drive rather than going for a dual boot at first shot. Try it for a week or so.. see if you like it.. then maybe go for the HDD installation option.

varshi_s

I have downloaded Ubutu as ISO file. Today I will install it from the CD. I heard it is very easy to install the linux versions nowadays.

njathan

I have downloaded Ubutu as ISO file. Today I will install it from the CD. I heard it is very easy to install the linux versions nowadays.

Yes they are pretty simple. If you are planning to set up dual boot (or even if you're not), talk to someone who has done it before. You may be enlightened on a few nifty things.

Well, it is good to go for a different partition for /boot and / and a swap as well (during the installation), that's all you need to safely dual boot with windows.