Sharing PPPoE connection

quan chi

mortal kombat
Well i have gone through your entire post now here are my queries.

1.Cant we just use an ETHERNET port that can imitate my system id.

2.I have as you know another usb to ethernet dongle(port).Can somehow i use that? I mean the main cable will be attached to system pot only.Then i will dial the internet manually as usual.After the connection has been established i will put that other dongle in the usb port.Then will use a wire to connect both the systems.

Last edited:

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
1.Cant we just use an ETHERNET port that can imitate my system id.
:confused:

2.I have as you know another usb to ethernet dongle(port).Can somehow i use that? I mean the main cable will be attached to system pot only.Then i will dial the internet manually as usual.After the connection has been established i will put that other dongle in the usb port.Then will use a wire to connect both the systems.
Nope. It may be possible, but really troublesome.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
it can. And really, its working gr8888. I am quite satisfied. Just if ECO could help me with the file sharing, it would be complete
Dont mind, eco. I am kidding :) :D..... you really did more than enough

quan chi

mortal kombat
^^How is its speed.I mean does the wifi gives the same speed as that of lan.Whats the combined price of it and the dongle.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
^^How is its speed.I mean does the wifi gives the same speed as that of lan.Whats the combined price of it and the dongle.

Speed depends entirely on range, and in my case, range is satisfactory, crossing two walls and two rooms, the WiFi is over 85% strong. So speed automatically is quite good.....

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are talking of Internet speed to your computer connected through the router, then it's going to be the same as your connection is. It won't vary with distance from the router.

Reason? We have puny 1mbps or 2mbps connections. Now, if we were sharing a 40mbps connection right from the router, THEN the distance would have made a difference. Indian broadband speeds suck, you see. :p

Second, LAN speed (computer to computer) in Wifi can be very slow. Around 20mbps or 2.5 MBps usually. For LAN (computer to computer), Ethernet is the best.

mbps = megabits per second.
MBps = megabytes per second.

1 byte = 8 bits.

ubk1004

Right off the assembly line
Somehow,i figured it out. Its working now. I had to work it in the direct IP mode. So the problem is,I am not getting directly logged onto the internet. However,I sign into the internet from one device,internet is then shared normally like a PPPOE connection.

Hi Guys..

I got a similar cable broad band few days back and trying to figure out how to configure it with my NETGEAR Wireless router (WGR614). I have tried to set it up with static IP address but didn't work. Problem is the Internet port in the router is not even blinking when I plug in the cable jack there but working perfectly when I plug in to my laptop. Any ideas?

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
I dont know about Net Gear routers a lot, but if the internet is not blinkinh in your router, something is wrong with it, because even if you dont connect to internet, if you just connect the wite, the sign will glow, indicating a signal detected....

ubk1004

Right off the assembly line
Hi debarshi,

I am sure that the router is OK as it was assembled with the BSNL connection which I had until I switched to Alliance. This is indeed very weird.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Sorry to post so late.Thanks to ico and debarshi.Few days ago got D-Link DIR-600L.Configuring it was a bit different and tricky but till now its working fine.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
You are welcome :)

By the way, my router is already dead and in hospital for re-incarnation, due to few thunder jolts.............jeez

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Won't buying a cheap wifi router and loading up DD-WRT or Tomato make it able to clone MAC ID? Also these custom firmwares have a number of advantages. For 3k you will get 2 wifi n routers, one of which you can run as wifi range extender/repeater. :)

P.S: By cheap I do not mean bad. :)

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
Yup, I do understand your point there, but wont loading a custom firmware void the warranty????

Last edited:

Tathaga

Best Mind****er
well i am a noob in this kind of networking stuff
i am alliance user (like page 2 arka1991)
well everything was fine, when one day lightning/thunder blew up my lan port

i am now using a lan card on pci slot and BSNL is working with it but alliance is not, i think its maybe cause of MAC ID lock (not sure)
the alliance BB is only workin on 1 laptop and not workin on my pc and other 2 laptops

i have tried changing network address of PC lan card by copying the mac id of the laptop the Alliance BB is working using ipconfig /all; but it doesnt work. =(

i have netgear n150 wifi router and i plan to use it and use Alliance BB through it .... bsnl has very bad ping, cant pvp in wow ;(

plz help :3