Serious help---Installed xp vista gone??.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonie

Journeyman
I had xp sp 3 and windows vista ultimate...Since my xp was problem creatin and was not working properly..I reinstalled xp sp 2 by bootin thro the xp cd at the start...After installation der is no selction of windows coming. it jus enters auto into the win xp sp2 .But the drive of vista is der with all those windows folder...Plz help me to recover it..Any way?..I thought somethin can be done wit easybcd so installed it and tried opening it gave me an error application error "the application failed to intialize properly...Plz guys help fast..?..anyway can i recover it back..vista??

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Install VistaBootPRO and run it. Now click on "Bootloader" tab in left pane. Select “Reinstall the Vista Bootloader” option and click on “Configure It” button. Thats it. It’ll install the Vista Boot loader. You can also edit other settings like boot loader timeout, default boot entry, boot entry labels, etc. You can read detailed info with screenshots here.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
^^^^ OHH, You just crossed you by a minute. :eek: :D

Boot from the Windows Vista DVD and Select Repair this Computer when the installer window appears. Then select repair Startup related problems (the last option in the list) and Windows will automcatically repair the boot sector of the HDD and you will see the Vista Boot Menu again. Hopefully you can see Windows XP there in the boot menu.

If you cant see Windows XP there, then download a utility named Vista Boot Pro from www.vistabootpro.org and edit the Vista boot menu through it to get XP back.

Please post reply here and share the progress. ;)

paroh

Padawan
Download VistaBootPRO and get back ur vista boot menu
and be happy VistaBootPRO is free

and if require Microsoft .NET Freamwork 2.0 download

*download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

VistaBootPRO

*www.jrcons.net/pronet/VistaBootPRO_3.3.0.exe

mirror
*www.area59.org/vistabootpro/dl/VistaBootPRO_3.3.0.exe

OP
R

roonie

Journeyman
guys I dont know wat to do..As per debsuvra told i booted thro vista disc and did repair it found some probs in the startup and it corrected it and restarted but stil the vista option dint come...it directly went into xp...
I installed vista boot pro
now wat to do
am posting the screenshots plz tel me ..it is not showing any inf abt the current sp..only vista recovered like tat

*img262.imageshack.us/img262/2606/43998701gg0.jpg

*img182.imageshack.us/img182/6043/orig1kp2.th.jpg

*img230.imageshack.us/img230/6834/origyk1.th.jpg

Guys i did one thing in easy bcd...I went to manage bootloader and "reinstal the vista bootloader" and restarted vista came but the choice of sel vista or xp is not cming...
Now am working in vista..In this if i use same easybcd and Uninstall the vista bootloader(to restore xp) xp is cming but not vista...wat shud i do..??..The duall boot option is not cming..I have to rewrite the mbr everytime to change from xp to vista or vista-sp...?..plz help

Last edited:

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
@ roonie, your case is a bit complicated. First run the Diagnostics from the VistaBootPro by pressing Alt+R and check if there are some Red entries in the result. Post the screenshot too. ;)

OP
R

roonie

Journeyman
Yea i did the scan...here is the screenshot..wat to do now?..earlier version of windows is in red colour
[url=*img145.imageshack.us/img145/778/60379836cs9.jpg]*img145.imageshack.us/img145/778/60379836cs9.th.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
If you can get Vista booting, then follow these commands.

1. Open start menu and type cmd.exe in the searchbox. Dont press enter. When the file comes up in search results, Right Click on it and select "Run As Administrator".

2. Now run the following commands 1 by 1.

Code:
bcdedit /create {legacy} /d “Windows XP Professional”

bcdedit /set {legacy} device boot

bcdedit /set {legacy} path \ntldr

bcdedit /displayorder {legacy} /addlast

After this restart the system and you'll find XP and Vista Dual Boot option.

Post here if you have furthur queries.

I hope this will help you out.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Yea i did the scan...here is the screenshot..wat to do now?..earlier version of windows is in red colour
[URL="*img145.imageshack.us/img145/778/60379836cs9.jpg"]*img145.imageshack.us/img145/778/60379836cs9.th.jpg
[/URL]

Just click on Apple Updates and reboot. I presume Windows XP will be back on track after that and will be present in the Vista Boot menu. :D

@ Krazy_About_Technology, doing bcdedit is a bit advanced stuff. I think rooney needs something more GUI based and easy to understand. Thats why both Vishal and I recommended using Vista Boot Pro to get past of the problem. :)

No offense meant though. :)

OP
R

roonie

Journeyman
Just click on Apple Updates and reboot. I presume Windows XP will be back on track after that and will be present in the Vista Boot menu. :D

@ Krazy_About_Technology, doing bcdedit is a bit advanced stuff. I think rooney needs something more GUI based and easy to understand. Thats why both Vishal and I recommended using Vista Boot Pro to get past of the problem. :)

No offense meant though. :)

yea thanks a lot debsuvra...Got it back...!..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom