Selecting mainstream courses or unsaturated courses

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello.

I recently cleared my eamcet exam and as of now, waiting for counselling. I live in hyderabad and I may get seat in top 10 colleges in this city.

I like coding and doing some tech blogging stuff and I will also try to learn some languages for development purposes. I like computer stuff but Iam fascinated about robotics, space and other stuff too.

Hence I think of joining some non saturated courses like Nano technology instead of CS or IT because I can diversify my knowledge much more and I'll be simultaneously learning some CS stuff.

So what do you guys suggest? Should I opt of CS as I have a bit knowledge in it or go for any other field like robotics which isn't saturated?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Look at it from what you can do after you are done with the degree. Can you pursue robotics later to create something ? If not then what sort of jobs do you see later ?

I know it looks fancy to think about nanotechnology, robotics etc. But are there any opportunities in that in India. While programming is used everywhere. So may be do your specialization in robotics once you have done your undergraduate degree in CS ? You would have a solid programming base to boot up.

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Look at it from what you can do after you are done with the degree. Can you pursue robotics later to create something ? If not then what sort of jobs do you see later ?

I know it looks fancy to think about nanotechnology, robotics etc. But are there any opportunities in that in India. While programming is used everywhere. So may be do your specialization in robotics once you have done your undergraduate degree in CS ? You would have a solid programming base to boot up.
So you are telling me to first take CS and then later, if possible, try for all these robotic fancy stuff?

AFAIK, robotics and other fancy things need a solid programming foundation, right?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
So you are telling me to first take CS and then later, if possible, try for all these robotic fancy stuff?

AFAIK, robotics and other fancy things need a solid programming foundation, right?

Solid programming foundation is needed if you are looking for complex stuff.

It will be better if you look at the program offered by these institute in robotics. What does the alumni say about their experience ? Talk to current students. Is it worth doing robotics from those institute ?

You may be surprised to see that lot of stuff taught would be theoretical. You may even see a good overlap with CS and electronics field syllabus.

These are the main areas in robotics syllabus, taken from US universities:

Perception:

vision, image sensors, range data interpretation, tactile and force sensors, inertial guidance, and other sensors. Core courses in Perception are 16-720 Computer Vision, and 16-722 Sensing and Sensors.

Cognition:

artificial intelligence for robotics, including knowledge representation, planning, and task scheduling. Core courses in Cognition are 15-780 Graduate Artificial Intelligence, and 10-701 Machine Learning.

Action:

kinematics, dynamics, control, manipulation and locomotion. Core courses in Action are 16-741 Mechanics of Manipulation, and 16-711 Kinematics, Dynamic Systems and Control.

Math Foundations:

signal processing, optimal estimation, differential geometry, and operations research. There is one core course in this area: 16-811 Math Fundamentals for Robotics.

Top Bottom