SATA/Ultra-ATA HDD; Jumper problem...PLEASE HELP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_kunte

Journeyman
Hello all...

I have 2 SATA Hard Disks on my machine. (I boot from the master disk). I also have a DVD-RW & a DVD ROM on my system. (The DVD-RW is master.)

I brought a friend's Hard Disk home (It is a Ultra-ATA disk), to format & re-install Win XP on it. To connect it, I removed the IDE cable of my DVD ROM & put it in the HDD.

My problem is as follows:

1. The Ultra-ATA disk fails to get detected. Am I going wrong with the connections??

Could anyone please explain to me the necessary jumper settings that I need to modify, so that I get the following results on my system:

1. My booting SATA HDD should continue to remain as master.
2. My secondary SATA HDD should act as slave.
3. The friend's HDD should get connected & should WORK.
4. I dont mind disconnecting my DVD ROM drive. I just need the master DVD-RW to I re-install windows XP on the friend's HDD.

In short, I want to know, how to make the following connections: (Jumper settings)
1. Disk-1 (SATA) : Master.
2. Disk-2 (SATA) : Slave
3. Disk-3 (Ultra ATA) : IT SHOULD WORK

The bottom line is, that I want to connect ALL THE THREE drives simultaneously.

This is a bit urgent. PLEASE reply ASAP. Please feel free to ask, if you can't fully understand what my query is. Eagerly looking for replies...

Thanks a lot in advance...

-HK.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
You just need to make the U-ATA drive of your friednd's as the master as you will be installing XP on that drive. By doing this, the other 2 SATA HDs will automatically become slaves. Once the installation is complete and you remove the U-ATA drive, Disk-1 SATA will become master and the next one as the slave.

OP
H

h_kunte

Journeyman
phreak0utt said:
You just need to make the U-ATA drive of your friednd's as the master as you will be installing XP on that drive. By doing this, the other 2 SATA HDs will automatically become slaves. Once the installation is complete and you remove the U-ATA drive, Disk-1 SATA will become master and the next one as the slave.

I would really appreciate if you could instruct "how" I should do that...

I mean, what cable should I connect where? And what about the jumpers??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom