ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
*i.imgur.com/Bckey.jpg

*i.imgur.com/Cpe58.jpg

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ubuntu is an out-of-the-box distro. You don't have to install anything in it except the proprietary AMD Catalyst driver.

With Arch...you start with nothing but command line and have to download packages and configure them step by step. Installation takes time depending upon your download speed - as you are downloading packages and configuring them on the fly. End result is - you only have things which you need. Nothing more and nothing less. Not a distribution for beginners in any case but it is the fastest Operating System around because of its "no bloat" philosophy.

The user experience depends on which Desktop Enviroment you choose to install. I am using GNOME 3 + Shell in the above screenshots. Some people prefer KDE 4.7. Ubuntu uses GNOME 3 + Unity.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Ubuntu is an out-of-the-box distro. You don't have to install anything in it except the proprietary AMD Catalyst driver.

With Arch...you start with nothing but command line and have to download packages and configure them step by step. Installation takes time depending upon your download speed - as you are downloading packages and configuring them on the fly. End result is - you only have things which you need. Nothing more and nothing less. Not a distribution for beginners in any case but it is the fastest Operating System around because of its "no bloat" philosophy.

The user experience depends on which Desktop Enviroment you choose to install. I am using GNOME 3 + Shell in the above screenshots. Some people prefer KDE 4.7. Ubuntu uses GNOME 3 + Unity.

Can we compare arch with the red hat distribution? I guess it too has similar features like you said, "start with a command line interface and then install packages as per requirements". I am a real noob in linux, thus asking out of curiosity.

The packages are .RPM installers right? Correct me if i'm wrong buddy.:smile:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can we compare arch with the red hat distribution?
Nope. :p

I guess it too has similar features like you said, "start with a command line interface and then install packages as per requirements".
You don't "really" start with command-line in RHEL. If you wish to, that is your choice.

RHEL is for enterprise stability. Arch is for bleeding edge - everything latest. Packages get updated everyday - rolling release.

The packages are .RPM installers right? Correct me if i'm wrong buddy.:smile:
no RPM packages for Arch. :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
GNOME 3 Shell running on AMD's OpenSource driver.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/community-discussions/148859-small-demo-gnome-3-shell.html