Samsung SH-W162Z not reading/writing anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Games Goblin

Journeyman
G'day!

Hello All!

I Have two Drives

1) A Samsung Combo Drive -- (TssTcorp) SHM522C
2) A Samsung DVD Writer -- (TssTcorp) SH-W162Z

I'm not a hardware expert so I'll describe it in the best way that I can, how they are set up that is:

*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Misc/untitled-1.jpg

There is only one jumper pin (on the Combo Drive, marked with red)

This setup was working fine until yesterday when the DVD Burner did not read anything (I tried blank DVD media, blank CD, Audio CD, Data CD, Data DVD). The combo drive is fine. I think that the trouble started after I burnt a data DVD with Nero 8. It screwed the disc up @ about 44% and the disc ejected showing the error message, ever since the drive has not been accepting any discs....

I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-BIT and windows XP Professional SP2 32-BIT

I have tried the following

1) Booting from the DVD Burner, although it is detected in BIOS, it wont boot
2) Same problem in both the Windows
3) Updated Firmware from TS00 to TS02
4) Unplugged both the power and IDE cables and put them back on
5) Disconnected the Combo Drive and tried out the DVD burner with and without the jumper

But nothing has helped so far....

Any help will be appreciated

Cya!

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Try cleaning the lense with with a CD Lense cleaner. If it does not help, just pull out the drive and replace it with a new one but not with a Samsung. Long back my Samsung CD ROM drive will not read any media.The Samsung service realigned the Laser Head and it worked fine for a few more months but the problem repeated and I threw it away.With DVD writer prices what they are today, it is not worthwhile to troubleshoot or repair the drive.Not worth the time and effort. Just replace.

utsav

damn busy...
i had the SH-M522C last year and replaced it with SH-W162Z in August 2006.

try 1 thing:-download the firmware TS00 and flash ur drive.it might work in XP but not in vista and as far as i know the firmware TS02 is launched for support in vista.

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Ponmayilal said:
Try cleaning the lense with with a CD Lense cleaner. If it does not help, just pull out the drive and replace it with a new one but not with a Samsung. Long back my Samsung CD ROM drive will not read any media.The Samsung service realigned the Laser Head and it worked fine for a few more months but the problem repeated and I threw it away.With DVD writer prices what they are today, it is not worthwhile to troubleshoot or repair the drive.Not worth the time and effort. Just replace.

I Wish I could do that!!:p :p But only recently a thunderstorm wiped out my Mobo and Graphics card.....Motherboard waranty did not cover lightning so I had to fork out Rs.5k for a new one...but thankfully the GFX card was replaced!!!! So my parents will kill me if they find out the DVD drive died......I doubt they'll give me any money to buy a new one anytime soon!!!:( :(

I had TS00 before. I flashed it to TS02 hoping that it would make the drive read something again....guess not!:confused:

So , should i flash it back to TS00?

Last edited:
OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Ok now I flashed to TS01 and still no good , same problem....

So not Firmware issue then......

Hey Utsav, I hunted the forums and found you had a problem with your SH-W162Z....did you fix it?

utsav

damn busy...
yes i fixed that problem and hav also posted the tutorial how to fix that type of problems
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57588
.try this .open ur cabby and then try to connect the drive to another ide port else take ur drive for replacement.

i wish ur drive is still in warranty else it will be a backpain

pskunk

Right off the assembly line
Try this site: *www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/179/1

There is something about adjusting the trimpots on page 7..it might help!

Best of luck!

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Woah! Thanks but as I said, Im not an expert in hardware....i cant imagine opening my drive and fiddling with it! I might ruin it completely....guess i'll call the service guys...thanks for your help Pskunk!

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Well, I forgot to mention the end to this story!!

I took it to a Samsung Service Center (Which was In a very congested and hard to locate place) They told something was wrong with the laser and since warranty was over, repairing would take about Rs.1000. But they were honest enough to admit that it would be foolhardy to repair!!! I chucked away the samsung drive and bought a new LiteON DVD Writer for Rs.1300. No problems ever since-- not even 1 DVD lost while burning so far!!! My samsung made 13 (I dont believe in superstitions :smile:) bricked DVDs!!

As Ponmayilal said -- NOT WORTH THE TIME/EFFORT !! CHUCK AWAY YOUR DRIVE WHEN WARRANTY OVER & IT ACTS UP -- BUY A NEW ONE IMMEDIATELY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom