Samsung announces Galaxy MEGA phablets -5.8", 6.3"

randomuser111

Technomancer
Samsung lifted the covers of the Galaxy Mega dup – the 6.3" and 5.8" Android phablets. The smartphones borrow some of the features from the Galaxy S4 flagships but offer much larger screens and aim for the mid-range segment as a more affordable alternative to the high-end Note phablet.

*cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/13/04/galaxy-mega-official/gsmarena_001.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3

The Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 packs a 6.3" LCD of 720p resolution and is powered by a an Exynos 5250 chipset with a dual-core Cortex-A15 CPU clocked at 1.7GHz and 1.5GB of RAM. It runs Android 4.2 with Sasmung’s TouchWiz modifications like Multi-window (split-screen multitasking) and Air View (detecting your finger an inch from the screen). There's no S Pen though.

The Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 is not a small device, but it's fairly thin measuring 167.6 x 88 x 8.0 mm and weighing 199g. The battery has 3,200mAh capacity. Internal storage is 8GB/16GB and there’s a microSD card slot if you need more.

*cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/13/04/galaxy-mega-official/gsmarena_002.jpg
The Galaxy Mega 5.8 is a smaller Mega phablet and packs a more modest specs sheet. The LCD screen resolution is jsut qHD and the CPU clock speed has been reduced to 1.4GHz. The high-speed connectivity (LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac) is also gone as well as the NFC and an IR emitter.

Other things that have changed are the size (obviously) - the Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 measures 162.6 x 82.4 x 9.0 mm, weighs 182g and has a 2,600 mAh battery.

The Samsung Galaxy Mega duo will be available worldwide with the rollout starting from Europe and Russia in May.

*www.gsmarena.com/samsung_announces_galaxy_mega_63_and_58_phablets-news-5844.php

Flash

Lost in speed
Bigger screen = Bigger audience, as happened with the Micromax's Canvas series.

What about the price?

Superayush

Tech lover
Looks nice :) but Sammy y u no put gorilla glass/amoled I but price will be above 20k though nice to see hd screen and improved ppi over grand and promising processor :D

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Price for 6.3" model is leaked - 699 Euro. So it will be 40+k in India. Same price as Galaxy S4

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Bigger screen = Bigger audience, as happened with the Micromax's Canvas series.

not always. a maruti alto is better than a nano. and a SUV will better a hatchback but once you bring trucks, buses, pickups you can't use the same logic of bigger the better. upto 5-5.5" everything is fine but 6" or bigger, no. 6" by no means is a phone or phablet. it is a tablet even if it looks like a phone.

saswat23

Human Spambot
not always. a maruti alto is better than a nano. and a SUV will better a hatchback but once you bring trucks, buses, pickups you can't use the same logic of bigger the better. upto 5-5.5" everything is fine but 6" or bigger, no. 6" by no means is a phone or phablet. it is a tablet even if it looks like a phone.

+1 to that. Rightly said.

Empirial

Youngling
I think all those people working in Samsung's R&D Dept either have Smaller Eyes or Bigger Hands that's why they create such enormous devices. Also, I'd love to meet the person responsible for naming Samsung Devices. Grand, Mega what next Samsung Galaxy Expand, Samsung Galaxy Humongous & Samsung Galaxy Dhoom Dhadaka?

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
One Of The Reasons I Don't Buy Samsung !!! Like If When I Bought the S3 it Was A Eye Catcher But After Some Time MICROMAX Had Same Design Phone Which May Frnd Used To Showoff And Then Samsung Dropped the bomb with Galaxy Grand !!! Same S3 Clone with Bigger Screen !!!

amjath

Human Spambot
they have phones in all sizes and variable prices = More no of shipments/profits = #1 in world
Thats the strategy

shreymittal

Being Human
@Samsung It is a 6" TAB y u no understand God dammit get some sense it is not a phone even a phablet. Just a bloody tablet @40K Fu(k

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Seriously? Tell me how will you use it in 1 hand? You just cant.
You cant fit it in your pockets its too larg

amjath

Human Spambot
6.3"
*cdn.gsmarena.com/pics/13/04/galaxy-mega-63-handson/gsmarena_001.jpg

These GSMarena guys have all size of hands for their reviews :lol: