S O S registry problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

meghdut

Right off the assembly line
:mad:SOS :x Hi friends
I m in deep trouble, our domain server running windows 2003 server sp2, was infected by 'Win32Sonahand D' virus. I installed avast 4.7 server edition antivirus and removed the virus.But it was still running during startup. I then tried to edit the registry and removed traces of virus from HKEY_CURRENT_USER-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Explorer-MountPoint2
and some others which unfortunately I dont remember. Now whenever I boot my server desktop appears but taskbar and startmenu is missing, explorer.exe process does not run at startup, so practically we cant do anything in the server apart from pressing ctrl+alt+del and running explorer.exe manually, otherwise it is working fine as a server but this is very problematic. Please provide any suggestion you can have. I'll be very grateful; and please tell whether repairing windows installation folder would solve the problem or not

OP
M

meghdut

Right off the assembly line
No the virus is removed, but i want to know how to modify my registry so as to restore it's functionality and get the explorer.exe to autorun

Firstly take a back up of all your files. Do a system restore - scan using your current antivirus try to fix the virus with it - then download a trail version of any one of either Nd32/trend micro pro / Avira or kaspersky - remove avast - install any trial version of the newly download antivirus scan again - fix all - and you may want to revert back to avast.

Since avira has a free edition use it instead of avast - in any instant its best you use an internet security suite and not just an antivirus program

joey_182

Jack Sparrow
if virus is removed then use RRT to fix ur registry or fix manually by reading the sticky forum by VG...*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61413

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom