RV870, Lil' Dragon is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Hmm, AMD has decided its nxt major move in the gfx industry, and it's not 45nm we'll see now, but industry first 40nm gfx manufacturing process, that shud put down the cost of production, at the same time, decrease temperatures, power consumption, and give us minimum 20% on a similar congif, performance increase.

And here's the RV870 codenamed - "Lil' Dragon" nice name isn't it, just hope it lives up to the dragon part. News is it will have 960SPs!!!!

*www.tomshardware.com/forum/255149-33-rv870-codenamed-dragon

I dunno abt the memory gonna be used, but it'll be a minimum of 512mb Gddr5, and 512-bit memory interface is like expected. More over,
48 texture units, 24 ROPs and max TDP - 130W!!!

I'm just hoping for memory like GDDR6(this is soo exciting) and maybe XDR2(which is 2x faster than GDDR5 itself!!!!!)

Let's see what it holds now.

*www.nordichardware.com/news,7999.html

x3060

A LOTR fan
yep, just going through the roof shattering nvidia..good thing that they didn't loot us like nvidia did by raising the prices when none was competing them.
well done amd :).

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
We havn't had enough of RV 870 that they go ahead with RV 970 in 2010, future planning, big time::

*news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-039-s-RV870-Goes-40nm-RV970-Comes-in-2010-91757.shtml

forever

filth is me
TSMC is causing some serious issues for Nvidia and partially for ATI. Nvidia planned to move most of its chips from 55nm to 40nm as soon as 40nm is available, but it looks that TSMC cannot meet its schedules.

The 40nm production of graphics wafers was scheduled for early 2009, and now it's pushed back at least a few months. Nvidia wanted to try to be the first with 40nm chips and finally beam the story where ATI is always the first to transition to a new process.

Source

We might have to wait a little longer :p

aytus

The Boss
i think nvidia saw it coming. they knew that once ati-amd get thr. engg's on track they wont be getting too much share. and instead of spending more on r&d they started rebranding 8G to 9G,s and then 200,s to make the most profit they can make b4 amd came with the new guns and stratergies.. wit rv770 .is amd,s 8800GT .. rv870 maybe wud be more like a rebranding or rather a core shrink.. like intels tick tock.. and as far as gddr6 .. dude .. first let the gddr5 go mainstream .. u know wot .. some insiders told me that amd previously wanted to launch rv770 wit 1gb gddr5 but since quimonda was only providing 512 .. and hynix was a bit behind thr shedule with the higher density .. chip in the main production line they had to delay it. so i dont c gddr6 or xdr2 comin ny time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom