Repair K550i or buy new phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
One of my friend's K550i is not working anymore. The service center staff said the PCB has burned & it will cost Rs 4k to repair. She asked me whether to spend 4k in repairing K550i or buy a new phone?

She can get the phone repaired today, but if she has to buy a new phone it will be in May only, till then she will use some temporary phone.

She is a not a heavy phone user & K550i has been serving her needs pretty well. She doesn't install applications (I was the one who told he about how to use Notes function of phone :D), & she doesn't need many features too. She uses the phone as a phone more then a camera/Music player. She takes picstures one in a while, like in malls or home among friends, she listen to music one the phone once in a while & uses HPM-75 for talking more then listening to music.

This is why I am myself unable to say her to buy a new phone, cos I know she won't be needing a new one much.

I looked at SE G502, its a good phone for 7.8k but considering the feature comparision with K550i for 4k, I wasn't able to justify buying it instead of repairing K550i.

I looked at the currently available models. She has only used SE so far so she is familiar with its menu structure etc. Nokia will be new & complex for her. SE is simple to use for non-Geeks. I didn't like any Nokia phone within 10k for her as they r all complex for her (she isn't that geeky U see)

So, I need to bounce some ideas & discuss this. Should she get her K550i repaired for 4k or buy a new phone in 2 months with a budget of 10k?

if she should buy a new phone? then which one among SE or Nokia? The priority is

1) Looks matter, it has to be sleek
2) No Samsung or Motorola, there Desktop counterpart software support is bad.
3) Easy to use & easier to type on, she is an SMS junkie. She is habitual to the keypad type of K550i with thin buttons so she has no problem
4) Atleast 2MP Autofocus camera

sujoyp

Grand Master
I would suggest u SE T700...it looks soo sexy...it has metallic finnish,10mm sleek,media menu like W series mobile,screen is superb,New SE UI,megabass featureits available for 11200 now...I loved it

Negative is 3.15 fixed focus cam(although its good)with cybershot UI
Loudspeaker is not good(Through headphone its excellent)

It appealed to each and every girl I showed :p:p

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
5310XM??
7310 supernova?
se W660i?
SE W810i?
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
W580i (my recommendation)

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I would suggest u SE T700...it looks soo sexy...it has metallic finnish,10mm sleek,media menu like W series mobile,screen is superb,New SE UI,megabass featureits available for 11200 now...I loved it

Negative is 3.15 fixed focus cam(although its good)with cybershot UI
Loudspeaker is not good(Through headphone its excellent)

It appealed to each and every girl I showed :razz::razz:

Even I like T700i but considering her needs & usage, I don't find it worth buying over K550i for Rs 11.2k. I will tell her about T700 though.

Nokia 5310 & Supernova has a camera inferior to K550i without Flash & auto focus so its out of the scene.

W660i is no good over K550i
W810i is tooo old.

I have told her to buy SE HPM-75 & get her K550i repaired. It will cost her a total of 5.2K, however I also told her about T700i

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
I would suggest to buy a new phone instead of spending 4k. If by any chance the phone doesn't work after repair then what is she gonna do then? Its a common saying- once the phone goes into service center then that's it, its the end of story.

If she is planning to buy a new phone then I will suggest some good phones in my next post.. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
look I wont compare the cam of a 'K'series to a 'T' Series one...but definitely its not a bad camera..and its 3.15mp....video recording is 240x320@15fps

The overall package is good...it even have geotagging,Google maps,Blutooth remote control preloaded.

The media player is just like a W series one..

Choice is urs :-o

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I would suggest to buy a new phone instead of spending 4k. If by any chance the phone doesn't work after repair then what is she gonna do then? Its a common saying- once the phone goes into service center then that's it, its the end of story.

If she is planning to buy a new phone then I will suggest some good phones in my next post.. :)

totally agree with this. spending that much for repair?? Fresh piece costs 6.5k if I am correct.

k4ce

Youngling
dude , i've used a k550 ... well i decided to dump it after a problem cos the service centre told me that "my problem wasnt covered in warranty cos its physically damaged " ... it served me well ... my only grouse was that it wasnt a smartfone ... else brillant cam and music ... i'm a heavy user and had used s60 devices and so i wanted to go back to s60

but in ur case , for all the applications u've mentioned , the k550 does it and does it well ... so i wud say why bother spending so much cash and buy a similar fone ... but i dunno how reliable things will be after the repair ... so if are sure that the phone will last after the repai , stick wid it ... cos its gud enuf for 4k ...

else u need to pay arnd 7.5k to get the g502 which has a better screen but cam is not as gud as the k550 ... 8.2k u get 5310 , f305 .... the only advantage of these fones is their higher res screen but i don think she wud even notice it

so if repair is reliable , stick wid else ... else buy dependin on budget

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Motorola z6 - 5k. It has all the features of k550i costs only 1k more than repair cost ;)

Forgot to mention, it will be only Nokia or Sony Ericsson as they have PC Suite & MyPhoneExplorer

Don't know if she will go for a Clamshell phone, but I told her about W380 too

kkeng

Broken In
She is a not a heavy phone user & K550i has been serving her needs pretty well. She doesn't install applications (I was the one who told he about how to use Notes function of phone :D), & she doesn't need many features too. She uses the phone as a phone more then a camera/Music player. She takes picstures one in a while, like in malls or home among friends, she listen to music one the phone once in a while & uses HPM-75 for talking more then listening to music.

This doesn't suggest any need for pc suite/myphone explorer

hahahari

In the zone
gr8 decision m8, what are you planning to do with that k500i??? I was the same situation whith my broke k550i and I went in for a N81 but still have k550i with me .... am using it as a paper weight right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom