Remote Desktop Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

enjoy

Journeyman
I am unable to remotely connect to my WIn XP SP2 Pro system.

Earlier it was working fine, but after a spyware attack it stopped working.

I have cleaned my system with Pc-cillin 2005, Trend Micro anti spyware, Spybot Search & Destry and Ad-aware .. (All Updated)

Remote Desktop is enabled on my system. (My Computer > Properties>Remote Desktop)

But still no one can connect.

On connecting I receive the following message

The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer

The most likely causes of this error are:
1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer
2)A maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer
3)A network error occured while establishing a connection.

I tried afer disabling firewall but it didnt helped. I verfied the services running and I found them properly running.

Please suggest....

Thanx

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
1st thing...make sure u have enabled users to connect remotely to this computer
right-click "my computer" goto remote tab n select "allow users to connect remotely to this computer" n then select remote users....add this participant's user name (the user who wants 2 connect)...make sure ur workgroup is MSHOME or WORKGROUP (right-click my comp, select computer name, select change)

try this 1st n if fails try foll-

go2 user accounts in cntrl panel and check if ur current user is d computer administratorif not log on to d administrator account n check d settings again...then sud work...gud luk

ps-disable firewall as it restricts remote connection

cheers.

OP
E

enjoy

Journeyman
I am the Computer Administrator. SO i dont need to add myself in the allowed user list. but still I have added. All antivirus, firewalls are turned off.. Still I am receicing the same message. The workgroup name is already set to workgroup.

theraven

Technomancer
first things first are u on the network ?
did ya check your lan settings ? and tried pinging the gateway/server ?

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
raven is rite...1stly check with ping wether u gettin response for ur lan server...i suppose u know how 2....jsut in case...run-->type ping "ip address" -t

u sud be gettin a response for a connection n NOT "connection timed out"

gud luk

cheers

OP
E

enjoy

Journeyman
PING is blocked in our network.. so that wont work...

But I am able to FTP to my system and read/write files... so that system is accesible on the network.

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
k dude can u share ur files from both sides.....even this can happen that only 1 of ur server is reponding...ping wud told u everythin but since u dunt have that u gotta check ur connection frm both sides
n please recheck remote desktop settings
cheers

digen

Youngling
Forgive me if I seem to have lost you but are you trying RD remotely over the internet or in a local network?
If its local then the problem might be a few changes in the settings or something ill configured.

OR
Could you provide us with a few details regarding your network topology,border devices?
If its remote over the internet then the default gateway/router or any perimeter device present may have to be configured to allow RD connections inside the local LAN.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
3 wierd suggestions :-

1. are remote desktop invitations allowed to be sent from the comp you're trying? check that.

2. try changing the port RD is listening to .. and try again
how to change the port Remote Desktop is listening to

3. if nothing works try using VNC ( virtual network computing ), a software very similar to remote desktop :: *www.realvnc.com

-----
alibi

digen

Youngling
I'm not trying to give you alternatives instead of solving your problem.But I suggest you get your problem first & maybe if you feel comfortable you could give a try with VNC software.

Incase you want to give it a shot,UltraVNC is what I would suggest from my experience.Even Radmin is rated higly among network managers.Apart from these there are quite a number of VNC client/server software such as Tight VNC,Real VNC which alib_i already mentioned.

The reason for using such software is the "features" that they pack out of the box.Some are free some arent,choose one according to your needs. :)

OP
E

enjoy

Journeyman
Changing the Port Number didnt helped..

Remote Desktop is enabled on the system. I know about VNC but still want to use Remote Desktop Feature.

Thanks anyways.

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
try creating incoming connections from create new connections in setup an andvanced connection
check d settings in other pc in ur network...
if everything fails u need 2 consult som1 who ican access ur pc coz all we can do from here is just suggest...gud luk dude
cheers

digen

Youngling
Just one quick question can you check Event Viewer logs under the Application section & reply here with the results?

Oh btw report the logs or even a screenshot of eventviewer under the application section only when you've just attempted using remote desktop or immediately after that.

Start>Run>eventvwr.msc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom