Reliable Laptop suggestion

Jothin

Right off the assembly line
My 7 year old Dell Inspiron 6000 is dying. I've decided to buy a new one. But as with any other electronic product, I'll need some suggestions.

Budget: Rs. 30,000 MAX

Purpose: Programming, Multi-Threading, Multi-Tasking, Browsing (a lot), Movies. Generally, my laptop is on for 6-7 hours everyday. And it should boot up quickly.

Operating System: Unix/Linux and maybe, Windows

Battery: Now, there are a lot of power cuts in my area, adding to about 4-5 hours per day. So, I'll need a laptop with atleast 4 hours of battery life.

Gaming: Maybe. Although I play a lot of games, I won't use my laptop for gaming. I just got myself a PS3 :) But I do play games like WoW, CS, League of Legends, and a few FPS, but gaming is not my priority.

Reliability: Now, as you may have seen, my last laptop lasted for 7 years. So, I expect my new one to last for 5 years at the least without much repairs. This would be my highest priority.

Preferred brands: Asus, Dell, Toshiba and Lenovo Thinkpads. No HP please. And anything related to NVIDIA is a BIG NO NO. I had 2 other laptops with Nvidia chipset, both of which broke down within three years.

Durability: Yes, I move it around a lot, so I'll need a tough one.

I hope this info is enough. If not, tell me what else is required.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I "added" SSD as you mentioned you need fast boot up, its not in the laptop. Regarding extended warranty, buy it.

OP
J

Jothin

Only one suggestion..........?? I'd like to have a few more choices......please
Regarding the recommendation, well, doesn't that model come with a dual core.....
Won't that deter the performance in terms of multi tasking and multi threading......
Aren't there similar laptops with 3rd gen 'i' series??

OP
J

Jothin

It's always good to have an SSD, but not at the cost of performance.
Fast boot up is an option, but if it is at the cost of performance, then its not required.
And, I am not sure if Lenovo laptops last long enough.

Top Bottom