Reliability of Jio Air Fiber

quicky008

Technomancer
Asking this on behalf of a friend-he is from kolkata and had been a cable broadband user for a long time but is really frustrated with the poor service and high-handed and arrogant attitude of their local cable wallahs and hence wants to discontinue using their connection.

The alternative is to go for jio air fiber (which is the only other BB connectivity available at their place)-he wants to know whether their connection is stable or not and offers consistently high speeds like they promise.Is their any downside of air fiber that he needs to take into account?

Therefore any feedback on this would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
It has the same problem like normal 5g poor upload speeds especially in peak times he will get problems if he or anyone in the household planning to take an online exam now or in the future since all the online exams require to upload the entire screen and webcam in real time otherwise he will get logged out. Take the air fiber as a backup only don't cut the LCO connection

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
He works in an it company (mnc) and wants to use it for official purposes (team meetings, Kts, watching pre recorded KT sessions uploaded by others etc)

Change to other wired broadband. Air fibre is not a substitute for a wired BB because of issues mentioned earlier. I have seen 5G speeds under 2Mbps in BLR in certain areas even if signal strength is 4 out of 5.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Same issues as dongles 15 years back. Call it whatever you want signal will be patchy. Just get a 100 Mbps fiber

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Just bumping this thread for another query-are torrent downloads supported in jio air fiber? Do they have any protocols/measures in place that prevent torrents from working?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Just bumping this thread for another query-are torrent downloads supported in jio air fiber? Do they have any protocols/measures in place that prevent torrents from working?
Don't know about Air Fiber in particular, but torrents didn't work even on my proper fiber Jio connection previously. I think they are blocking most known tracker domains.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
My neighbor got this JioAirFiber installed. First month so far he is having no complains. But imo as all the users switch from 4g to 5g, this too will become laggy and slow. Ping is high, as it is for cellular connections. He got it in offer, got 6 otts(it didnt have netflix or prime, but got JioCinema and Hotstar, so enjoying IPL and Saas-Bahu shows on them) and tv channels at 5200 for 6 months which I feel is very expensive, considering speed is just 30MBPS. Also, Telephone does not work on it.

Other than that, I found Jio's Service to be better than airtel. My Society only has airtel, bsnl, netplus and some local ones available, so considering the sh*t airtel has to offer in the name of service, Jio's is better. Was stuck with no internet due to broken fiber for last 2 weeks. But apparently the engineers were so much busy, they couldnt spare any time till i got on their nerves and was about to cancel my subscription. (No sh*t I see them everyday at 4-5PM enjoying at a tapri near their office.)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am using Opera browser...inbuilt VPN...Till now no issues for me
Does the VPN extend to whole machine? The issue I am facing is not about blocked torrent sites, but rather the torrent trackers are not getting connected in the torrent client, thus the torrent client does not know where to download the chunks from.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Don't know about Air Fiber in particular, but torrents didn't work even on my proper fiber Jio connection previously. I think they are blocking most known tracker domains.
This can be circumvented by changing DNS to Google DNS or open DNS after which they work fine

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
My neighbor got this JioAirFiber installed. First month so far he is having no complains. But imo as all the users switch from 4g to 5g, this too will become laggy and slow. Ping is high, as it is for cellular connections. He got it in offer, got 6 otts(it didnt have netflix or prime, but got JioCinema and Hotstar, so enjoying IPL and Saas-Bahu shows on them) and tv channels at 5200 for 6 months which I feel is very expensive, considering speed is just 30MBPS. Also, Telephone does not work on it.

Other than that, I found Jio's Service to be better than airtel. My Society only has airtel, bsnl, netplus and some local ones available, so considering the sh*t airtel has to offer in the name of service, Jio's is better. Was stuck with no internet due to broken fiber for last 2 weeks. But apparently the engineers were so much busy, they couldnt spare any time till i got on their nerves and was about to cancel my subscription. (No sh*t I see them everyday at 4-5PM enjoying at a tapri near their office.)
can you ask that neighbour of yours to check whether torrent downloads are working on his jio-airfiber connection or not? If it does work,please try to find whether its running at full 30 Mbps speeds or at throttled/reduced speeds.

Top Bottom