Reference Board query

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I always wondered why even after so many years.. the heatsink/fan combo of both AMD amd Nvidia look the same in the Reference Design - a single fan at the right and rest of the card covered with plastic. I have seen some companies use the same design even on their final product. other companies create their own cooling design for better airflow etc..

Why don't they change the design???

*www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/09/660.jpg*pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2012-01-27/01.jpg

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
One one word answer Because it is a Reference Design :-D just kiddin I also still don't know why it always the same design If why if I knew it I will answer this

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ reference yea.. I know that .. but why there is no progress in the standards from company.. yes .. the processors are better now and heat produced is less.. but still they should progress..

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
Nothin keep changin they want all in plain OLD fashioned way (or OLD SCHOOL)

Reference cards are made using a design from ATI/Nvidia, non reference cards are made using the AIB partners (EVGA, XFX Asus to name a few) own design by going with non reference designs AIBs can reduce costs by leaving out some componants or they can add componants to help with stability at higher clocks but doing so means that some aftermarket coolers wont fit

The reference cards are launched as examples to show the manufactures what they look like, cooling, etc. Plus, as you said, sometimes, the manufactures make better cards. However, some manufactures launch cards that are the reference cards with different stickers. Example:

*www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814161399

After that, the only cards I know that Nvidia and AMD do sell as their brand is their professional lines.

I think you got it they just show the version they are up to and gives some idea about the GPU :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
take cool air in from cabby and throw out the hot air from the backside grill outside. this is the sole reason why most GPUs have same type of cashing though the internal part aka heatsink is redesigned for almost every SKU. some comes with basic grill and copper core others use vapor chambers.

also this way they can add their BIG fancy sticker :p

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Reference design generally comes out with the cards which are being released just after the release of reference card. Now, many users who don't plan to use air-cooling in their cards, these cards are the best choice for them as they are going to peel off the stock cooling anyway.

Top Bottom