Receiving SSDP from router

intricate

Broken In
Hello

I've recently installed wireshark to see what packets are going/coming through my NIC. What I can see is that SSDP protocol is bombarding my NIC all the time, one packet after another. As far as I know SSDP is used by UPnP.
I thought that it would be a good idea to turn UPnP off to reduce traffic in my NIC and prevent SSDP packets from bombarding my NIC/computer. I turned it off on both my computer (a service) and on the router (UPnP: disabled). But it hasn't changed anything. I keep receiving SSDP packets one after another. Why is this happening after turning UPnP off.?

Code:
source, destination, protocol
192.168.1.1 , 239.255.255.250, SSDP	315	NOTIFY * HTTP/1.1

I don't see any reason to turn UPnP on (??). The computers on my LAN work fine and see each other very well. Router assigns IP addresses with no problem. Any reason to keep it on?

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
SSDP is not just used by UPnP but also by devices like printers in a network to announce their location to other networked devices.also SSDP traffic shouldn't have any noticeable impact on network performance so leave it on.

OP
I

intricate

Broken In
OK, thanks, but I don't have printers or anything on the network (I have two computers connected to switch and 10 meters away a router). The source as we can see is from my router :-? Why does it keep sending me SSDP packets? (UPnP is turned off in the router)

PS
Can anyone suggest a piece of network software instead of dsniff. Dsniff is meant for linux. Is there a simillar for windows?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
router needs to assume presence of devices like printers in advance else SSDP is of no use.suppose you connect a printer via lan or wifi tomorrow how will it register its presence if router is not broadcasting SSDP.

OP
I

intricate

Broken In
Thanks. Does it mean that router uses SSDP to find devices on LAN and assign IP addresses to that devices through DHCP?
Then, it means that SSDP is a part of DHCP system, and DHCP requires SSDP to work. Is this correct?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was a a bit wrong earlier.SSDP is indeed a part of UPnP & can be used by devices like printers but it is also independent from DHCP.many routers have options like Multicast or IGMP which can generate SSDP traffic.also there are some softwares & services which can generate such traffic(e.g. older windows messenger on xp) without an UPnP option.

Top Bottom