Raspberry Pi 2 unveiled, $35 for quad Cortex-A7 and Windows 10

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Raspberry Pi 2 unveiled, $35 for quad Cortex-A7 and Windows 10 - GSMArena Blog

Out of the blue the new Raspberry Pi 2 is official. It’s a successor to the B+ model and features the same hardware arrangement (1x Ethernet, 4x USB 2.0), but a much upgraded CPU – a quad-core Cortex-A7 at 900MHz. The best part is that Microsoft will provide a free Windows 10 version!

holy cow :shock:

All this for the same $35 price tag.

The old ARMv6 single core processor has been replaced by a quad-core Cortex-A7 (ARMv7) and is “6 times faster.” I put that in quotes because depending on workload – say SunSpider – just one of the four cores can be 4 times faster than the original Pi processor. The new instruction set has a potential for a 20x increase in video decoding performance.

Also, the RAM has been doubled to 1GB. There’s no Model A 2 for now though that hasn’t been ruled out. The chipset uses the same GPU as before, which should still be pretty fast. It’s the only 3D GPU with a public documentation, which makes it the only viable choice for a system that values openness.

In terms of software, the Raspberry Pi 2 will use the same ARMv6 Raspbian (based on Debian) at launch, but the ARMv7 version of Debian is being tasted to see if it’s faster or a hybrid between the two will be a better option. There’s an ARMv7 version of Ubuntu available right now.

Perfect for basic tasks and use as a HTPC. :D

A

amit.tiger12

great VFM... btw windows 10 becoming everyone's talking point :)

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Will it be able to perform tasks such as photoshop, video editing with windows 10 . I don't want speed, only reliability.

OP
SaiyanGoku

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Will it be able to perform tasks such as photoshop, video editing with windows 10 . I don't want speed, only reliability.

Those tasks will be overkill for it. Its a 35$ quad core Cortex-A7 board with 1 GB ram and certainly isn't meant for such resource intensive tasks. :|

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I think it might run those tasks slowly . My 5 year old single core Atom + 1 gb ram is able to run photoshop and do a bit of video editing tasks, albeit with laggard pace.

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

$hadow

Geek in making
It is basically a low spec mobile based chip which is mainly fulfilling the bare bones requirements to run windows.

teknoklutz

Broken In
Is there a guide on this forum on how to make it into a HTPC or can someone suggest...
I am planning to make a HTPC and was wondering if this would be a good option.

ankush28

Bazinga
It won't run most x86 windows application so hold your horses!

Free windows 10 is ARM embedded low end version of windows 10.:conspiracy:

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Raspberry Pi 2 pre-order started in crazypi.com. Price is 3.2K.

*www.crazypi.com/raspberry-pi-products/Raspberry-Pi-2-1GB-India/RASPBERRY-PI-2-MODEL-B-INDIA

OP
SaiyanGoku

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Raspberry Pi 2 pre-order started in crazypi.com. Price is 3.2K.

*www.crazypi.com/raspberry-pi-products/Raspberry-Pi-2-1GB-India/RASPBERRY-PI-2-MODEL-B-INDIA

I think I'll buy after my end sems in may when price gets normalised. Will have a good amount of free time then.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
If it can run windows and utorrent, I will buy one. At present using model B and transmission, but it is not as good as utorrent in windows.

Top Bottom