Rant about slowdown in computer hardware in India.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
In USA, the cost of 1.5GB 4G LTE data is 15$.
They do have 4g speeds. In India, telecos reduce 3g to 2g speeds and relaunch 3g as 4g.

Search in Wikipedia: Internet in Romania. India will take a century at least to reach 100 mbps for home consumers while the world shifts to gigabit connections.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
does not matter what speeds, indians will always try to paisa vasool and download the internet
Ive seen people who download and keep youtube videos :-?

TheFallenLord

Journeyman
does not matter what speeds, indians will always try to paisa vasool and download the internet
LOL, I do. But I do that coz my connection is not good enough for HD streaming and I hate watching videos in 360p. So, I download and watch them in HD instead.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
This thread is begging for some good discussion over the reasons for pathetic Internet infrastructure. Though most of the reasons are already cited. The corruption, the devaluation of rupee and Thailand floods, all are great causes, but its the causes for increased hardware prices. Not Internet infrastructure.

The direct cause of such pathetic Internet infrastructure, as per my observation has been priorities and lack of focus. How can one midst of hunger, poverty, and lack of basic amenities, can focus on improving digital connectivity? Well, seems like a simple point? Hard to agree cause of the "How can India send a prove to Mars when we are still in such poor conditions" debate? Then I have another view.

The answer to what happened to "Technology" in the last decade could be explained by following chart.

*www.infomine.com/ChartsAndData/GraphEngine.ashx?z=f&gf=110645..&dr=max

To anyone who remember the year of 2007, will instantly recognize what the chart represent. It represents the financial crisis that occurred in 2007-08. I think the great depression that occurred during this period have a very large contributing factor in the loss of progress of Internet infrastructure. While I myself am not aware what happened exactly, since I never had an interest in Economics, but looking back now I think it had a major impact especially on Indian subcontinent. It seemed to have shaped priorities for our nation for a long time and somehow Internet infrastructure got a backseat.

More reasons perhaps are Telecom companies and TRAI. But TRAI comes under which department? The government. So the priorities which government have will amply reflect in the decisions of TRAI.

Speaking of which (and without naming people) I hear plans that focus of government have slowly shifted towards providing a good digital experience. And that they are looking into reason for the conditions of such poor plans. Recently I also heard that government have asked Telcos to look into the matter of call drops that have suddenly started to plague common man.

Meanwhile there are small players (ISP) that are atleast trying to provide a good service. The jump to Excitel have given me hope. 4 mbps TRUE unlimited plan (no FUP) and that too in under 1k, I think it's the best plan in my entire decade of PC experience. Players like Spectranet with it's fibre optic plans are also luring people (although limited to societies as of now).

Seeing all of this does give me a ray of hope that things are changing now. I don't expect a miracle in this department.

Anyway thread title change suggestion to something like, "Rant about no evolution to get us on wide lane of Internet usage"

OP
T

threeonethree

Journeyman

It has nothing to do with paisa vasool. Here are some reasons why people may do it. Even i have done it.

1) Their internet connectivity may be too slow for smooth streaming so they have to download the whole video for uninterrupted viewing. Sometimes taking couple of hours to download and watch a 5 minutes video.

2) Their internet connectivity may have frequent outages so they need to download the video.

3) They may like some educational tutorial that they need to see a few times. Also they may need to rewatch some parts and since streaming is slow they download it for handy reference.

4) They just upgraded from a shitty connection and want to keep everything downloaded before their current good connection also goes to the dogs.

In short they do not trust their internet connection to be able to play the video again when they need it.

I guess, Its not such a bad practice because once you download a video you do not have to re stream it again and again. However downloading large amount of data and then not even using it is bad practice. But that will go once people have fast and reliable connections. This is similar to hoarding and black marketing of onions. When onions are in short supply every body wants to fill their storerooms. Once onions are not too rare very few people will do it.

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
It has nothing to do with paisa vasool. Here are some reasons why people may do it. Even i have done it.

1) Their internet connectivity may be too slow for smooth streaming so they have to download the whole video for uninterrupted viewing. Sometimes taking couple of hours to download and watch a 5 minutes video.

2) Their internet connectivity may have frequent outages so they need to download the video.

3) They may like some educational tutorial that they need to see a few times. Also they may need to rewatch some parts and since streaming is slow they download it for handy reference.

4) They just upgraded from a shitty connection and want to keep everything downloaded before their current good connection also goes to the dogs.

In short they do not trust their internet connection to be able to play the video again when they need it.

I guess, Its not such a bad practice because once you download a video you do not have to re stream it again and again. However downloading large amount of data and then not even using it is bad practice. But that will go once people have fast and reliable connections. This is similar to hoarding and black marketing of onions. When onions are in short supply every body wants to fill their storerooms. Once onions are not too rare very few people will do it.

+1 to that^

Top Bottom