RAM Upgrade on a new Laptop

Gollum

Collector
I bought a new HP laptop and I'm confused about which ram would fit in this for an upgrade.
I want to upgrade it to 8GB.

As per CPU-Z
the current RAM is a Samsung DDR4-2666 module running at 1333Mhz
*i.imgur.com/A7z6xZJ.jpg
*i.imgur.com/jbKwkWE.jpg
*i.imgur.com/qqjRgw0.jpg

I am not sure how is the pc running this RAM? Has HP Put the wrong RAM in this pc?
*i.imgur.com/HNhpfnz.jpg

The CPU installed is an i3 7100U
*i.imgur.com/feKQHMi.jpg
*i.imgur.com/qdvyjZt.jpg

As per the specs, the unit only supports DDR4-2133 in Dual Channel.
*i.imgur.com/WttnCFA.jpg

Can you guys help me figure out this mishap of a configuration

Should I go buy a new 4GB DDR4-2666 Module to make it a total of 8GB
OR
Remove the current ram and install a single 8GB DDR4-2133 Module.

By Any chance am I reading this table incorrectly?
*i.imgur.com/ORP4a00.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have an extra empty ram slot then ideally you should just get another 4gb DDR4 2666mhz ram stick.However I am unable to find any ddr4 2666mhz ram from a reputed brand with warranty on amazon so I guess this is your next best option:
*www.amazon.in/Kingston-ValueRAM-24...8&qid=1547647647&sr=1-1&keywords=DDR4+SO-DIMM

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
If you have an extra empty ram slot then ideally you should just get another 4gb DDR4 2666mhz ram stick.However I am unable to find any ddr4 2666mhz ram from a reputed brand with warranty on amazon so I guess this is your next best option:
*www.amazon.in/Kingston-ValueRAM-24...8&qid=1547647647&sr=1-1&keywords=DDR4+SO-DIMM
My unit has the empty slot.

Also, I did a little bit of research and found that my current factory shipped RAM is running at a speed of 1066Mhz CL 15 which is the speed of a DDR4-2133 RAM which runs at 1066Mhz CL15.
As per ARK website, i3 7100U supports only 2133 RAM.
So my factory shipped Laptop is actually downclocking my factory installed RAM.
I'm worried that this PC may fail prematurely.
Is HP doing this on purpose?

Ok, had same problem with a HP laptop. They installed a 2666MHz RAM whereas the CPU supported till 2400.

Open your task manager, hoping it is Win10. In performance tab, memory section, check the speed. If you CPU supports 2133MHz, then it should be currently running at 2133MHz. If so get a 2133MHz RAM.

RAMs can run at lower frequency without issues. In my case, the laptop I was dealing with, I installed a 2400MHz RAM as a second one & its working fine.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only thing to consider is getting a good compatible ram with speed equal or above than max supported speed of processor.The reason why HP used 2666mhz ram is because no good brand nowadays manufacture 2133mhz ram in enough quantity.In fact as per my search on amazon India the model link I posted above is your best option while 2nd best is this:
*www.amazon.in/DATA-DDR4-2400-Premi...1-1&keywords=A-DATA+4GB+DDR4+2400+Mhz+Premier
I would rate Kingston ram over adata ram any day but still your choice. Crucial & Gskill don't have official service centre in India & even if one is going to buy I would never suggest buying from amazon/fk/paytm because in case of RMA you will probably be left hanging(your best bet are primeabgb,mdcomputers,vedantcomputers for these brands).

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
Only thing to consider is getting a good compatible ram with speed equal or above than max supported speed of processor.The reason why HP used 2666mhz ram is because no good brand nowadays manufacture 2133mhz ram in enough quantity.In fact as per my search on amazon India the model link I posted above is your best option while 2nd best is this:
*www.amazon.in/DATA-DDR4-2400-Premi...1-1&keywords=A-DATA+4GB+DDR4+2400+Mhz+Premier
I would rate Kingston ram over adata ram any day but still your choice. Crucial & Gskill don't have official service centre in India & even if one is going to buy I would never suggest buying from amazon/fk/paytm because in case of RMA you will probably be left hanging(your best bet are primeabgb,mdcomputers,vedantcomputers for these brands).
I'm not able to find sodimms on local vendors like prime and md.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
My unit has the empty slot.

Also, I did a little bit of research and found that my current factory shipped RAM is running at a speed of 1066Mhz CL 15 which is the speed of a DDR4-2133 RAM which runs at 1066Mhz CL15.
As per ARK website, i3 7100U supports only 2133 RAM.
So my factory shipped Laptop is actually downclocking my factory installed RAM.
I'm worried that this PC may fail prematurely.
Is HP doing this on purpose?

Just get any decent branded DDR 4 2133 Mhz stick and you should be good. Down clocking RAM doesn't impact its life or system's stability at all so don't worry from that perspective.

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
Is this RAM ok?
Its a Corsair. Both my desktops are running Corsair just fine.
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0143UM5YQ/aoem_sao/?psc=1&smid=A1QFJV05H9TXZX

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
That's why I haven't yet bought a RAM. I'm looking for Amazon Fulfilled with at least 1 year of warranty.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's why I haven't yet bought a RAM. I'm looking for Amazon Fulfilled with at least 1 year of warranty.
You can buy that 8gb kingston ram from A1Price A1Products seller which is amazon fulfilled.All ram from any major brand give at least 5 years warranty(keep/save the bill).

Top Bottom