ram required

arko1983

In the zone
i have 2x3 gb dominator.

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 - Newegg.com

rest of my specs r in my sig.

Should i buy another 3x2gb from newegg around $90.

I am predicting new games will require 8 gb for playing in max settings.

having 12gb will it be 2-3 years future proof.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
IMO, you should buy 3x4 or 2x4 GB modules.. they'll cost less..
and you'll have more slots for future upgrades..

and newegg doesn't ship to india, AFAIK.
try local shops..
you live in kolkata, try vedant, Balaji, etc..
also try Hardware Price check thread Kolkata

Here : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/shopping/98253-hardware-price-check-buying-advice-thread-kolkata.html

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Afaik your mobo has only 4 ram slots. How do you gonna install remaining two if you buy 3X2 GB ram?
Either get a single 2gb or get 4x4 gb and sell the one you have.

Afaik your mobo has only 4 ram slots. How do you gonna install remaining two if you buy 3X2 GB ram?

OP
arko1983

arko1983

In the zone

i have 6 ram slots.
it is first gen i7 with 6 slots
i am getting them from usa(its hard to get it from here) my sis will bring it.i already own 3x2gb dominator thinking of adding another.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
agree with avichandana

get 2x4 GB's of RAM, and needless to sy, put them in Dual Config.

if you have plans to ditch the current ones, get 3x4GB.
now a days, getting 2 gb sticks , that too for a rig like yours, is , IMO, simple stupid

since you are buying from USA, you may have Great Deals at Microcentre too.

OP
arko1983

arko1983

In the zone
it is the exact same model. i dont plan to ditch them bcoz its not worth selling them. i already have 6 gb another 6 gb will make it 12 gb.no point in leaving the slots empty.
i can buy 4 gb x 6 ,but i dont wanna invest so much.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Arey man, Bloomfield Microarchitecture based Core i7 Processors support Tri Channel Memory Configuration, not dual channel and for maximum memory performance, the number of modules should be multiplier of 3, not two. Adding another 3GB X 2 is a good idea here as 12 GB is sufficient for maximum number of applications and games. Make sure your existing and the kit you are planning to buy have exactly same Cache latency which is CL8 in your case.
Another thing, you can do is to get three sticks of 4GB 1600 MHz CL9 Ram like Corsair Vengeance or G-Skill RipjawX modules and sell of the 2GB modules. It is little hard to find CL8 4GB 1600 MHz Modules in India. Otherwise three 4GB and three 2GB sticks can also be used to work on Tri channel configuration. Normally the 6 slots are devided in threegroups like A1, A2, B1, B2 and C1, C2 with different color scheme for A, B and C. If the total size of Rams in A (A1 + A2), B (B1 + B2) and C (C1 + C2) are same then they will work on Hybrid Tri Channel configuration.
So the placement will be (4GB + 2GB ) in A1 and A2, B1 and B2 and C1, C2.
For running it like this, what you can do is to increase the Cache Latency of your existing Rams to 9 in BIOS.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
no need to buy 4x6 Gb buddy.. :mrgreen:
that would be a waste..

sorry..
i just found it supports tri channel and not dual one..

for tri channel, get 3x4 GB kit and you'll have no problem for next 3-4 years i think..(just for the RAM)

and believe me, that WOULD be an overkill

edit - oops.. cilus already suggested that :oops:

^^ awesome @cilus

OP
arko1983

arko1983

In the zone
do i need 6gb+12gb ie 18gb or 12 gb is enough ram wise.rest of my specs r okay i still dont need to overclock my cpu or gpu as i can run all games in max settings at full hd resolution.i am buying some cooling fans etc from us so was thinking of buying rams to future proof my system for another 2 years ram wise.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
IMO, 18 GB will be an overkill.
and definitely futureproof for next 3 years..

and its not a must to fill up all the RAM modules, is it ??

OP
arko1983

arko1983

In the zone
IMO, 18 GB will be an overkill.

and its not a must to fill up all the RAM modules, is it ??

ya i also thought so i am gonna buy the 6 gb for $90 then.no its not necessary to fill up all the slots but it will be even more hard to get triple channel memory afterwards.6 gb may be a problem after few months so wanted to upgrade to 12 gb.my sis will come in 2 months time so i was thinking of upgrading ram etc.thanx all of u for your help.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually three 4GB sticks will cost you around 6K which is very close to the price of three 2 GB modules. That's why I have suggested to get three 4 GB Ram and mix them with ur existing 2X3GB.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
^^ wait for more replies buddy.. :wink:

4 GB modules will be more better , cost wise..
go with cilus's advice and no need to look at the RAMS for the next 3-4 years or may be even 5-6 ..

OP
arko1983

arko1983

In the zone
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Memory, Desktop Memory, 12GB (3 x 4GB)

here r all (3x 4gb)12gb kits available on newegg. i can see some CL8 ones. please suggest from here if u can.i also want low profile(cm v6gt is the culprit) or atleast can open the heat spreaders like dominators.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
what about these ??
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 - Newegg.com

they come with a fan, but i doubt if they can be fitted to your mobo ..
but they are C9

Cilus

laborare est orare
i have to take some opinions from ciilus as how to configure these dominators with mine.

My id is CILUS, not CIILUS.

One thing, I have not noticed eariler that your current Rams have operating voltage of 1.65V whereas all the Rams except the Tri Channel Dominator you have chosen are have voltage of 1.5V. There is a chance of instability if you are going to use 1600 MHz CL8 Rams of 1.65V with 1.5V Rams of same speed and Cache Latency. Run CPU-Z and post a screenshot of the SPD tab here. It will confirm the current operating voltage of your current Ram. I will suggest after that, don't want to do a guessing here.

OP
arko1983

arko1983

In the zone
*i.imgur.com/UrWjhFj.jpg

sorry for my typo CILUS.here is my cpuid spd screen
i think i have this one.
*www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

any help???

Attachments

• UrWjhFj.jpg
    UrWjhFj.jpg