Query regarding Raspberry Pi

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Hi,

I creating this thread in this section as Raspberry Pi is a single-board computer. If this is not the right section, I request the mods to move it to the appropriate section.

I am intending to buy a Raspberry Pi and use as a MySQL Database Server for the purpose of Software Development. But, Before buying, I want to if i can run Raspberry Pi 24X7 without frying it and how much users can Raspberry Pi handle when used as a Web Server? Suggest me some high-powered alternatives too. I also want to know from where I can buy them?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Actually I am wondering why you chose Raspberry Pi in the first place. unless its for experimental purpose or for personal project. if you really want a webserver + DB Server then you should look at entry level PC/CPU as it will be more powerful than Ras Pi and better compatibility with existing Linux distributions and support from MySQL. AFAIK RasPi can make a good webserver for low load .. but I doubt it for SQL as loads will be higher as queries take precious CPU cycles.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Actually, It is for learning purpose only and the power consumption made me to choose RasPi. It would be nice if it supports atmost 5 concurrent connections. I also want to explore joomla by setting up a server. and the joomla site won't made available to public. as it is just for learning purpose. I just wanted to know as a web server, how much traffic it can handle,

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Ah.. if its for learning purpose / experiment then you can go for it.. but regarding simultaneous connections I am not sure. check with ico, he has it.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ not sure about chennai.. Raspberry Pi at element14 but 3 weeks waiting period.

ill check more on this.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Raspberry Pi Model B Revision 2
*shopping.kitsnspares.com/bon1/productdescription.asp?id=457406

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dunno, as far as for experimenting is concerned, why not install MySQL on your system itself? I feel it is going to be too slow for running something like MySQL if you run too many queries.

As for Raspberry Pi, you can get it from here: Tenet Technetronics [Bangalore based]

btw, yes you can run it 24x7.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Dunno, as far as for experimenting is concerned, why not install MySQL on your system itself?

Will try to install LAMP-Server today in Ubuntu. BTW, tenettech.com is not loading...

@RCuber: Thanks for the links dude.

@reniarahim1: I tried searching on ebay but Model B costs around 5k.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tenet Tech is loading fine for me. Try opening again. They have Raspberry Pi available for 3.3K. (whole kit costs more)

Top Bottom