Quality Blank DVD suggestion?

Sarath

iDota
It might seem petty but it is important for me as I need to store important personal Data.

I am looking at high quality durable DVDs for preserving videos. I know that each manufacture uses a different propriety coating on its DVDs for durability and scratch resistance. I am looking for something which is the best in those terms.

About 10years back I used Kodak Gold CDs for my videos. They were prices more than twice the regular CDs. Worth it or not, I did not want to take chances. I am looking for something similar in the DVD age.

I have a spindle of Sony DVD-Rs but I am looking at something better. They cost me 20 a piece. I don't mind paying upto Rs.50 a piece for good ones. Maybe more.

Kindly suggest me some brands.

P.S. Burning/writing speed is not at all important

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I was going for them but was looking for better. It seems Taiyo Yuden are the best ones but I have no clue as to where to start searching for them.

old thread (2006) *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/43642-can-one-get-taiyo-yuden-dvd-rz-india.html

Finally saw this on ebay. I am wondering if they are worth going for.

Taiyo Yuden 16X 4.7GB White Thermal Hub DVD-R With Har | eBay

sygeek

Technomancer
This is offtopic, but just a suggestion, stop using DVDs, it's becoming obselete. I'd rather suggest you go for cloud/external HDD backup. MUCH MORE RELIABLE (comparatively)!

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Well I have already done that. The DVDs are just so that I can share it with friends and family.

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
Apart from the quality of the disk what matters more is how carefully you store & care for them.....

I have CDs & DVDs burnt 6-7 yrs ago nd still reading, playing fine and seems new.... coz i kept them scratch free. Never used a Disk bag for that i use Disk Spindle for avoiding scratches while handling them

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I always put them in jewel boxes. I think they are the safest. I assume so.

I am in a fix over getting the Taio Yuden ones for now. Waiting for my content creation to complete. Looking at another 2months hence. So that gives me a lot of time to ponder over my options.

Meanwhile if you guys have used any media or have suggestions like the one above please do share it with me.

Top Bottom