PS3 10% Ahead of 360 This Year Worldwide, 'Strong Contender' to Take Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Yes guys you read it right. Finally ps3 is set to prove what it committed in the start of this console generation. From its initial lackluster sales to a huge exclusive base, the ps3 has come a long way.

Many critics doubted the ps3 in the beginning and big developers like VALVE even cited the ps3 as a big failure until last year on e3, valve's ceo "Gabe newell" personally addressed the e3 podium and apologized sony , introducing portal 2 for the first time since orange box on the ps3 with cross platform chat feature with pc. In other words, he ate his own past words.

Consider the ps3's force, its definitely something to reckon with & this was almost inevitable to happen.
Now with this success, they gear up towards the next-gen arena to deliver the same success mantra & reap the same benefits and even more they've enjoyed so far.

Keep up the good work.:smile:

Source

gameranand

Living to Play
I already knew that this day would come. PS3 deserves it and finally they got it.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
PS3 was best from the day it came out coz of BluRay support & good proccy

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
My friends are dicks (X360 is better, PS3 sux). now they can see for themselves how much better PS3 is.

Albeit it will cost me 10k to get a replacement for my PS3 (stopped reading discs) :banghead:

But PC ftw lol.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
10% is hardly much if only taking this year into perspective.

Still Xbox 360 makes more per unit sold.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ It had over a year head-start. Its quite a feat for the japanese giant to catch up and overtake. Xbox 360 makes most of its sales in the US but so does the ps3.

But in European markets, the tale is bit reverse & the Japanese totally despise xbox. Its like a ratio of 1:10 there & japan is a very important market in a gaming revenue perspective.

That's why the 10% deficit for the xbox overall this year. Its not about making money but getting the no. of units sold & hats of to ps3 for doing that even after a year in loss.
The xbox still leads if you consider each of the consoles life time sales.

For this reason a current year is taken into account for choosing a winner i.e in terms of sales.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Japanese people will only buy their local company products - Sony and Nintendo.

But since Sony didn't know how to hash the passwords, I'll not buy a PS3.

Its not about making money but getting the no. of units sold & hats of to ps3 for doing that even after a year in loss.
If that is the case, Nintendo won this generation's war back in 2009.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Its still an important market from a worldwide point of view and their choice matters a lot. Microsoft has been trying hard to crack it but has been unsuccessful so far. They are rated even higher than Americans as far as game development goes.

But i didn't get the 2nd point. What has hash password based encryption got to do with buying a ps3?

Nintendo was already ahead but it has a different market than sony and microsoft. Its aimed at casual gamers and not hardcore. So even ps3 or xbox 360 owners
have a high probability for owning a nintendo wii for their family and kids and it even has its own fan base excluding this scenario.
So you can figure the numbers.

Actually the real competition for the crown is between microsoft and sony. Based on numbers nintendo was always in the 1st place from the very start and still is.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
oh well, Sony hacked yet again, plaintext passwords, e-mails, DOB posted

PSN Hacked: How to Protect Yourself - PS3 Feature at IGN

PlayStation Network Hack Leaves Credit Card Info at Risk | GameLife | Wired.com

plaintext passwords? seriously, my 11 year old sister knows more.

I'm still bitter about Sony first advertising "Other OS" support and then dropping it.

Sony Grappling with 55 U.S. Lawsuits After PSN Hack | PCWorld

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Oh you were pointing the PSN hack. Ofcourse i know hash passwords but didn't figure in the reference to the context.
In that case my 9 year old brother knows more too.

Well its been fixed and currently up and running. And seriously that's not even near to put a dent in ps3's sales charts.

Gotta give them credit to publicly address the issue in a podium like E3 this year before starting things of. Jack tretton really stole that show and the xbox presentation looked so lame besides it.

The official os dropping was to prevent easy access to ps3's internal hardware. Atleast this was one of the reasons. But its still doable unofficially i guess. Linux can still run on a ps3 slim.

Don't believe me, check this:

[YOUTUBE]XQr1O1VZ-kk[/YOUTUBE]

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The official os dropping was to prevent easy access to ps3's internal hardware. Atleast this was one of the reasons. But its still doable unofficially i guess. Linux can still run on a ps3 slim.
yup, first you advertise it one of the selling features and then abruptly drop it. Sony is stupid.

Linux on PS3 with firmware version 3.41 is not worth the hassle.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Doesn't matter and that's not a strong reason at all. People seldom care about installing an os in a console. Everybody who owns a ps3, definitely has a computer to tinker around with an os. Atleast more than 90% satisfy the above condition.

And still its possible to install an os in a ps3. So nothing to lose here and we are definitely seeing the results in form of strong sales.

Both the ps3 and the games are delivering big time and in the end when dust settles, this is all that matters.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Doesn't matter and that's not a strong reason at all. People seldom care about installing an os in a console.
haha, what about people who bought PS3 because it had OtherOS feature and then Sony removed it? What would they be feeling? I'd say, give them a decent refund or a new game. hellknight had posted a decent analogy regarding this. You give your car for servicing, and they remove ABS.

moreover, if you don't think storing passwords in plaintext is a serious issue, then please do read this: *techie-buzz.com/gmail/how-playstat...itored-account-resulted-in-mass-phishing.html

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^You don't get it do you? The otherOS support was for PS3 Fat sku. It had that feature.

It was removed in the ps3 slimline version and the people who bought it were well aware of that fact. So no question of refund here. So in other words , the people who bought the ps3 for other os are not feeling anything cause they have the fat version and it satisfied their needs.

The password issue is long gone and people have gotten over it. It was a serious issue but is fixed now. Security is beefed up and sony probably learned its lessons. They are back now with all issues resolved and fixed. They admitted on a global stage like e3. Probably that won the hearts of most people.

So you see the sales result now as a proof.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^You don't get it do you? The otherOS support was for PS3 Fat sku. It had that feature.

It was removed in the ps3 slimline version and the people who bought it were well aware of that fact. So no question of refund here.
err I'm talking about fat only. :| why remove it just randomly and bother people with auto-update messages when they play a game. :|

The password issue is long gone and people have gotten over it. It was a serious issue but is fixed now. Security is beefed up and sony probably learned its lessons. They are back now with all issues resolved and fixed. They admitted on a global stage like e3. Probably that won the hearts of most people.
Might come back to bite anyone at any time. It is inexcusable for those who have been affected.

Each corporation to its own and each individual to his own. VAC had banned thousands of CoD:MW2 players. What does Valve do? Unbans them, gifts them L4D2 and another copy of L4D2 to gift a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.