My CPU Configuration:
Processor:AMD Athlon X2 260@3.2 GHz
Motherboard:Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P
GPU:ATI Radeon HD 6670[Sapphire]
RAM:4GB
PSU:450W
I recently decided to buy an FX-8120.But a local computer store owner said that 8120 is
is a very high performance processor but my motherboard might not support it.I asked my friends and they are saying the same thing.So should I go for 8120?If not then please recommend a good processor for my motherboard.My budget is upto Rs.10,000.

Last edited:
Your friends and (for the first time) the shopkeeper is right. You shouldn't use the FX 8xxx in that motherboard. Actually, rather than spending on a new processor for that mobo, I would suggets you to wait for 1-2 months, collect 7k and get fx 8350 and Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 (I hope you already have the cash for the processor).

Your friends and (for the first time) the shopkeeper is right. You shouldn't use the FX 8xxx in that motherboard. Actually, rather than spending on a new processor for that mobo, I would suggets you to wait for 1-2 months, collect 7k and get fx 8350 and Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 (I hope you already have the cash for the processor).

Will you please recommend a processor which I can put in my existing motherboard?Something that would'nt bottleneck other components[And also please mention if I need to change my PSU for that new processor].

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Will you please recommend a processor which I can put in my existing motherboard?Something that would'nt bottleneck other components[And also please mention if I need to change my PSU for that new processor]

yes you can get fx 8150,fx 8350 provided that you have latest bios updated

- *www.gigabyte.in/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3833

yes you can get fx 8150,fx 8350 provided that you have latest bios updated

- GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket AM3+ - AMD 760G - GA-78LMT-S2P (rev. 3.1)

So guys I am confused here. "harshilsharma63" says that I shouldn't buy Fx-8120.But You are saying that Fx-8120 is supported in my motherboard and I can consider buying it.So it would really be help full if someone came up with a final answer.Should I go for FX-8120?If not then what processor I should buy?

So guys I am confused here. "harshilsharma63" says that I shouldn't buy Fx-8120.But You are saying that Fx-8120 is supported in my motherboard and I can consider buying it.So it would really be help full if someone came up with a final answer.Should I go for FX-8120?If not then what processor I should buy?
I never said that your motherboard does not suport the cpu (sorry if it appeared that way). Your motherboard has AM3+ sockets and so does FX 8xxx. What I was saying that rather than using the cpu in that motherboard, you should get an asus m5a97 evo r2.0. Again: that motherboard DOES support FX 8120.

I never said that your motherboard does not suport the cpu (sorry if it appeared that way). Your motherboard has AM3+ sockets and so does FX 8xxx. What I was saying that rather than using the cpu in that motherboard, you should get an asus m5a97 evo r2.0. Again: that motherboard DOES support FX 8120.

I looked up the prices of the ASUS mobo and FX-8350 and total price comes around Rs.20,000.After 1 to 2 months total price might drop to 17,000 but even 17K is a lot of money for me.So please tell me if I can use Fx-8120 in my current mobo,without any hardware problems problems[like system hang or less performance or something like that].I am going to stick with my current mobo for a while.

I looked up the prices of the ASUS mobo and FX-8350 and total price comes around Rs.20,000.After 1 to 2 months total price might drop to 17,000 but even 17K is a lot of money for me.So please tell me if I can use Fx-8120 in my current mobo,without any hardware problems problems[like system hang or less performance or something like that].I am going to stick with my current mobo for a while.
You can use it buddy after a BIOS update as ASHISH65 mentioned. What I'm trying to say is that you may go for FX 8120, use it with your current motherboard and save up some cash for buying a better motherboard.

You can use it buddy after a BIOS update as ASHISH65 mentioned. What I'm trying to say is that you may go for FX 8120, use it with your current motherboard and save up some cash for buying a better motherboard.

Thanks friend.Really appreciate the help.But I don't know how to update BIOS.Is it same like updating Windows?Just a link to a 'How to' manual would really help.

Thanks friend.Really appreciate the help.But I don't know how to update BIOS.Is it same like updating Windows?Just a link to a 'How to' manual would really help.
No it's not like updating Windows. You should read the steps from the manufacturer's website. Most manufacturers now provide a single exe file which does all the work. Just make sure to download the correct file and use a UPS if possible.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
you will have to download the software named @bios ,install it

- @BIOS

download bios update from mobos site

- GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-78LMT-S2P (rev. 3.1)

ok then you will get 3 files like this

*i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a506/ASHISH650/Capture_zpsdf09fec3.png

the first one named 78MTS2P.FILE is imp file (others 2 file are of no use)

now open the @bios software - select update bios from file- locate the that imp file- select it - and click on update

it will finish in few minutes and ask for a restart. during update donot close or shut down pc.

hope i helped:-D

another example below

Attachments

• h_zps8286eed9.png
    h_zps8286eed9.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Thanks ASHISH65.But do I need cooler or something to keep processor cool after the upgrade[Currently I don't have any cooler just a fan at the top of processor and another attached to the cabinet]?

ASHISH65

Technomancer
you will get stock cooler with your new cpu.it is enough

lol that top fan is know as stock cooler only.

Thanks Again all of you.:)

Guys I need help again.I don't know if my 450W PSU is capable enough to handle the power supply requirements of new processor.How do I know if my 450 W PSU is enough for the new processor?Do I have to add the power requirement of each component and make sure that it doesn't exceed 450W. Sorry I don't know much about these things.:|

Last edited:
Top Bottom