Problems in firefox rendering on Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
my firefox's rendering is in poor on ubuntu while compared to using on windows. the fonts are too small and not in clear..
what is the reason.. is any way to improve..

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
^
have u tried all FF setting stufss like encoding,font size,etc...try googling for this issue...i hope may help u

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Won't help. I have had this problem since Gutsy. Asked on this forum too, didn't help.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1882263

NucleusKore

TheSaint
It's not a firefox problem. Install liberation fonts through synaptic and change the Ubuntu system default fonts. Everything will be fine after that.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
On your Ubuntu Desktop, click on System->Administration->Synaptic

In Synaptic click on settings->Repositories,and in that make sure all are ticked as shown below, especially the one which is highlighted

*img66.imageshack.us/img66/3870/ubuntulib1xm5.th.png

Click close and click the Reload button in synaptic

After everything is refreshed, click Search and look for liberation, you will get a package named ttf-liberation, mark that for installation by clicking on it and click the Apply button. Liberation fonts will get downloaded and installed on to your system.

Now close synaptic, and click on System->Preferences->Appearance

*img148.imageshack.us/img148/266/ubuntulib2vg0.th.png

In the dialog box that opens click on the fonts tab

*img356.imageshack.us/img356/95/ubuntulib3mg5.th.png *img236.imageshack.us/img236/2668/ubuntulib4rh0.th.png

Now in that you will see fonts for various purposes, application, desktop etc. Change each one to the liberation equivalent by clicking on it. So change sans to liberation sans, mono to liberation mono, sans bold to liberation sans, and in that select bold. Then close the dialog box and then open Firefox and see the difference :)

OP
Sathish

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
thanx nucl..
i feel the difference..
but i feel, it doest not look crispy as in windows..
does linux suck at this area..why

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Open Firefox
Click on Edit->Preferences->Content
Change as follows

*img143.imageshack.us/img143/3303/ubuntulib5qf4.th.png

Click on Advanced and change as follows

*img143.imageshack.us/img143/5906/ubuntulib6bp6.th.png

Also uncheck allow pages to choose their own fonts

I believe your card is NVidia. Have you installed the propriety drivers?

Last edited:
OP
Sathish

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
done it.. but still not up to the mark..

.i installed nvidia accelerated graphics driver ..every time i booting ubuntu,, Nvidia logo screen appears..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom