Problem with USB tethering on Samsung Galaxy Music

quicky008

Technomancer
A neighbour of mine has recently bought a galaxy music cell phone because it features android 4 ICS and is also relatively inexpensive.He wanted to use the USB tethering function of this phone so that he could use it to access the internet from his pc,so he followed all the steps that are described in this article:

Android Devices: Tethering and Portable Wi-Fi Hotspots - Android OS Help

His computer has windows XP sp3.Whenever he connects the phone to his pc via the usb cable,it is detected as an "MTP device" and a new hardware wizard pops up immediately to assist with the driver installation process-however on selecting "Install from a list or specific location" and then browsing to the directory that contains the downloaded tetherxp.inf file(as described in the aforementioned article),windows attempts to install it and after a few seconds shows an error that says something like "installation failed-not all sections found in the inf file" and the hardware wizard closes abruptly.Despite trying several times,he has not succeeded in getting the usb tethering feature to work properly due to this issue and so he is really upset!:-(

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to resolve this problem?What is an MTP device and why does windows XP refuse to install the drivers from the tetherxp.inf file?

He also wishes to know how can this phone be connected to his pc as a "mass storage device" so that he can transfer files to and from his pc to the phone and vice versa-I looked everywhere but couldn't find any option to enable this mode in his phone and therefore any help with this matter will also be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom