Problem with external drives

tusharlad

Down to Earth
Dear Friends,

From a few days now I am facing a problem with my usb pen drives and hard drives.
i can copy the files and folders on my pen drives but can not delete it. when i try to delete any files or folders they re appear instantly. also the data copied on my pen drives can not be viewed onn other computers. no data is shown there- empty pen drive.

also safely remove hardware menu don't work. when I prompted message reflects that windows can't stop your generic volume device because a programme is still using it. when there is no running programme on windows.

indicator light keep flashing on pen drive though no activity is going on.

While my external hard drives face only safely removal problems and every thing else are fine with them.

Please guide me what could have been the problem ?

I have tried to formating and scanning the pen drives using McAfee. pen drive shows a folder named Recycler even after formating.

khmadhu

change is constant!!
this problem may be because of virus. most of the time Mcafee is not able to detect pendrive viruses..

so better scan with other antivirus.
While my external hard drives face only safely removal problems and every thing else are fine with them.

this may be because of some program still using u r pendrive. the program may be virus or another third party software ,like any sync application, so windows cannot safely remove the device.

try with other computer, try copy paste some data to pendrive. if it works with other computers then its problem with u r OS.

Neuron

Electronic.
safely removal problem is probably caused by some virus.Do the following.
1.Download and install unlocker from *ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker
2.Right click on the removable-drive icon in my computer.
3.In the drop box click on unlocker
You will get a window in which a list of processes currently using the drive is shown.Post the list those processes here
You should be able to safely remove the drive by clicking 'Unlock all' in the above specified window.

OP
T

tusharlad

Down to Earth
Thanks a lot for your valued reply.

I will try what you have suggested and let you know what will happen.

Top Bottom