Problem installing SATA HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys. I bought a brand new Seagate barracuda 120 gb SATA drive yesterday. I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo. I installed the drive using the given connectors for the motherboard and the power supply. I checked the jumper settings to see if SATA is enabled. I connected it to SATA RAID1. However the system completely fails to recognize the hdd. No matter what I do. I have tried to set the jumper settings and so on nothing seems to work ? I have even checked the seagate website to no avail. Any idea as to what is going on ?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The SATA drive interface is via a silicon image 3112A chip so install the driver for the same also the 3112A takes some time to boot/id the drive in case only one drive is put ie one port is empty. Also i hope you know it gives only software raid functionality.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
I forgot to ask you yesterday night, and I was thinking about it and fiddling with my own computer today morning. I have mine plugged into the SATA 2 connector, then in the BIOS, the SATA as RAID is set to Yes. When you enter the SATA RAID configuration tool when the computer boots up, by pressing Ctrl+S or F4 or F6, depending on your motherboard, it should show both your hard disks, in 0 and 1, after which you can create the RAID. Does the RAID utility list the hard disks or not?

Doc Holliday

Broken In
Hi all,

Is this SATA HDD your only HDD in the computer? Are you adding a SATA HDD to your system which has an existing HDD (with the OS already loaded)? Are you wanting to implement RAID?

If you are adding this HDD to an existing system with the OS already loaded, (presuming that you are using Windows), please use Seagate DiskWizard for Windows from

*www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

If you are planning to install the OS on this HDD, then make sure you press F6 on booting from the bootable XP CD, supply the SATA drivers (Silicon image in your case) and go from there. The Silicon drivers can be downloaded from your motherboard manufactuer's website.

The RAID setup should be used only when you are implementing RAID, and not if you are merely adding a SATA HDD (either a stand-alone SATA HDD or adding one to a system that han an existing HDD).

DH

OP
I

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
thanka guys for all your replies. All the said methods had already been tried. After a lengthy trial I found the reason (enoonmai spent enuff time with me on the phone!). The A7N8X-E Deluxe comes with Wi-Fi card. I hadn't installed it at the point of getting the motherboard. Since I was opening up my case (after a very long time!) I figured to get it installed too. Which is the cause for a lot of my issues. A lot you might think ? Yes. My gigabit LAN stopped working and my SATA HDD would not get recognized no matter how I connected. And to add to this the Raid configuration screen would nto come up at all and there was no way I could do anything from the BIOS. And it gets wierder. All I did was remove the Wi-Fi card and installed the SATA HDD as previously and viola it was recognized and everything works smoothly including my gigabit LAN. Conflicts with SATA and the Wi-Fi ? maybe. However why the wierdness ? Because I couldnt even see my gigabit LAN from my device manager. Hmm...Will investigate more and keep you all updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom