problem in ubuntu 7.04 for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrushij

Broken In
I have just received my new ubuntu package...
But the newer verson '7.04 for PC' is noworking on either my PC or laptop even though it has well kown hardwares and 1 gb ram...
it stops at the starting of gui screen...which make colors...on the screen like screen saver...!!!
what is the problem...??

praka123

left this forum longback
display resolution may not be correct.press CTRL+ALT+F1 to get a VTE and login.u may need to edit ur /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get a satisfiable display.also post ur graphics card,mobo details.

OP
hrushij

hrushij

Broken In
Nvidia Motherboard+64mb Graphics Card With 212 Mb Shared Memory From 2 Gb Ram. And Processor 2x64 Bit Turion..ok
Thank You

praka123

left this forum longback
NVIDIA card no driver

I suppose u r in a live-cd and u dont get GUI.
I suppose ur graphics card also is nvidia make.nvidia gfx cards needs drivers either open source "nv" or proprietory "nvidia".so when the garbled colour screen appears,just press keyboard keys CTRL+ALT+F1 to get a vte.if there is "#" prompt already there,we can proceed.else
oh,now u need a username to login.hmm..for that login as ubuntu and passwd may be ubuntu too.I'll check and post here soon.

Now to the problem,
U need to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to set driver as "vesa"
the editor used is "nano" it is easy to use.go to section "Device" and edit the
Code:
 Driver          "vesa"
save by pressing CTRL+O(letter) and exit by CTRL+X.now in the terminal type
Code:
~#/etc/init.d/gdm restart
^in linux and unix space must be respected

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
yeah.that may be because open source nvidia driver "nv" detected and configured ur X(Display) correctly.may be u can configure to use "nv" as the driver here too :)
Code:
:~$sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
and select "nv" for 2D Open Source Nvidia driver or if none worked try "vesa" driver.for that "blue screen" CLI curses installer,u can select items by TAB,UP and Down arrows and Return(Enter) Keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom