** Post all your BSNL Broadband Related Queries Here **

kaz

right here
From exchange office you can get your id.....Password is "password" by default. But why do you need that, have you forgotten yours?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
From exchange office you can get your id.....Password is "password" by default. But why do you need that, have you forgotten yours?

It is indeed available at the local BSNL office.

Did you know the official recommendation is NOT to change the password from password?

kaz

right here
It is indeed available at the local BSNL office.
I meant that only....The exchange office and the local office is same here and I call it exchange office always, call this my bad habit if you want....

Did you know the official recommendation is NOT to change the password from password?
No instead they told me how to change the password....

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Good to know that their practice has changed now. I had changed my password and forgotten because it was not being used on daily basis. When I went to recover it, I had to jump through many hoops and the local guys did not even know how to reset it. I had to take help from my uncle who is in another state with BSNL and get it reset.

In this security conscious era I thought it was so wrong of them to recommend NOT changing it.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys any idea how to get BSNL Username/Password from BSNL???

Did you applied for new connection or just forget yours ? Anyway, try the call center and tell them you want to reset it. Also tell them to send it to you by SMS [ try calling from a BSNL cell no. ].

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
now-a-days bsnl password does not matter because every connection uses port binding meaning a broadband account can only be used on a particular telephone line so even if somebody knows your password it can not be used on any other telephone line using your account.

9-10 years back when I was in school I used to get 150KBps download speed on a 256Kbps connection.

[MENTION=121890]kaz[/MENTION],you must have misconstrued your connection speed or download speed.in 2004 there was no bsnl 2mbps adsl connection & the only way to get 150KBps download speed was through an expensive commercial connection.

kaz

right here
Add 2-3 years then :D But then I was in class 9-10 and the connection was on my grandpa's name at his house, I remember senior citizens got 100rs off in each bill then... But that 150kbps speed was for something around 500-600rs. I am sure ... :)

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
now-a-days bsnl password does not matter because every connection uses port binding meaning a broadband account can only be used on a particular telephone line so even if somebody knows your password it can not be used on any other telephone line using your account.

So a terrorist or a neighbouring kid with a line could hijack my connection? Theoretically.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
no.a terrorist or a neighbouring kid will use an open/public/easily crackable wifi instead of climbing your house wall(or a ladder) to cut your telephone line & then join another line hoping that no one will look suspiciously(including someone from your house) at a person cutting & joining a telephone wire in the middle of a day in front of a house & remember his face.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
do you think getting a direct line from telephone or electric pole is as simple as carrying a screwdriver,tape & wire cutter?forget your neighbourhood kid even a hard core terrorist wouldn't attempt this because he might as well post on facebook about his mission in advance.

kaz

right here
do you think getting a direct line from telephone or electric pole is as simple as carrying a screwdriver,tape & wire cutter?

May be, I have seen people using the dialer which the exchange office guys use to check the connection. If they can do so from their rooftops someday they will use internet also :p

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can do that too but that requires disconnecting the present line & connecting a new line/hand held dialer.what you are imagining about parallel line is just not practically possible so rest easy.

sourav_mitul

Right off the assembly line
I am not sure the below mentioned link is already posted in this thread or not.

*www.punjab.bsnl.co.in/bandhan_bb1.htm

This is article from BSNL Punjab circle mentioning the step for getting better speed for BSNL Broadband subscriber. This is applicable to all BSNL Broadband subscriber irrespective of their Circle. In the article the one of the most important step is Step 16 .

16. Use Proper Modulation:
If the distance of the subscriber's modem is more than 2.5 Kms of length from the Telephone Exchange (DSLAM) then Use only G.dmt Modulation in the modem DSL settings. Disable all other modulations if possible. The distance of underground cable from Exchange to the user Home is considered rather than road or aerial distance.

I want to mention that generally BSNL provided modem is ADSL2+ by default configuration. That config generally works good if your connection is within 500 meter(cable distance) from the serving telephone exchange. So properly follow the configuration step 16 in the modem if the connection is outside of that range.

The another useful is Step 1

1. For Reliability & Speed, Use following DNS Addresses:
A) On Dial-up or Bridge mode Broadband connections.
Enter following DNS address at Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection.

Primary DNS -- 192.168.1.1 (Filling this IP will automatically takes first DNS server from BSNL)
Alternate DNS -- 156.154.70.1 or 156.154.71.1 or 4.2.2.2 or 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 or 8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 (Use any of these)

B) Automatic or Multiuser or PPPoE mode Broadband connection.
Login inside the Modem or Router Interface and enter the following DNS address
Primary DNS -- 156.154.70.1 or 156.154.71.1 or 4.2.2.2 or 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 or 8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 (Use any of these)
Alternate DNS -- 156.154.70.1 or 156.154.71.1 or 4.2.2.2 or 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 or 8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 (Use any of these but different from Primary DNS).

Generally BSNL provided DNS is heavily loaded and response is slow. Due to that DNS resolution for any webpage takes time which finally result slow loading of that webpage. It is better to use Google DNS. Changing the DNS server may not always be possible on BSNL provided modem. You can follow the below mentioned link to change it on your Laptop/PC. After That functionality will be same.

*www.intechgrity.com/speed-up-bsnl-broadband-using-google-dns-open-dns/#

The final is Configuring the MTU on PPPoE Mode. Though this article is mentioning

4. Choose Right MTU Size (Maximum Transmission Unit):
Almost all MTU sizes (like 1500, 1492 or 1480) give good speed performance among all website browsing & downloading. But one should preferably use 1492 as MTU in all Modem/Router connections until & unless one faces any significant problem with MTU. The value is defined inside the Modem or Router configuration page.

Still I will recommend to set MTU in any single value between the range of 1430 to 1450 for PPPoE.

I hope that following those steps this you might get better BSNL Broadband speed. :)

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm . interesting and I don't think any onbe has posted the link before. Thanks for sharing.

kunalht

In the zone
I am currently using 512kbps UL @ 800rs .
Is there any 1 MBPS unlimited plan in BSNL ? (I am from gujarat)

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
I am not sure the below mentioned link is already posted in this thread or not.

*www.punjab.bsnl.co.in/bandhan_bb1.htm

This is article from BSNL Punjab circle mentioning the step for getting better speed for BSNL Broadband subscriber. This is applicable to all BSNL Broadband subscriber irrespective of their Circle. In the article the one of the most important step is Step 16 .

I want to mention that generally BSNL provided modem is ADSL2+ by default configuration. That config generally works good if your connection is within 500 meter(cable distance) from the serving telephone exchange. So properly follow the configuration step 16 in the modem if the connection is outside of that range.

The another useful is Step 1

Generally BSNL provided DNS is heavily loaded and response is slow. Due to that DNS resolution for any webpage takes time which finally result slow loading of that webpage. It is better to use Google DNS. Changing the DNS server may not always be possible on BSNL provided modem. You can follow the below mentioned link to change it on your Laptop/PC. After That functionality will be same.

Speed up BSNL Broadband using Google DNS Open DNS FREE DNS alternative

The final is Configuring the MTU on PPPoE Mode. Though this article is mentioning

Still I will recommend to set MTU in any single value between the range of 1430 to 1450 for PPPoE.

I hope that following those steps this you might get better BSNL Broadband speed. :)

@mods plz add this very important info at the very begining..........it will be lost with time otherwise..............

Top Bottom