Please suggest phone around 20k for dad

aaryaan

Broken In
Hello guys,

Buying a phone for dad. He will use it more as a traditional phone and also for gaming ;) :D.

So please suggest:

He likes Sony Sola at the moment.

How do you compare it with HTC One?

How about Xperia P or HTC sensation?

Please let me know the best phone quickly experts :)

thanks,

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Go with Xperia P. Local shops will quote 24k pricing though. One V is not recommended and Sensation is discontinued and most likely won't find the same locally.

techlover

In the zone
Motorola doesnt have good after sale services :p

I suggest to go for Sony Xperia P ...try bargaining a little ..u can easily get it around 23k :)

red dragon

Master troll
Nope!I I think op wants the phone for his father.
And elder people prefer phones with decent battery,and they are not bothered about useless benchmark scores or the latest update from Google(ICS is far more buggy than GB anyways)

Last edited:
OP
A

aaryaan

Broken In
Thanks all, I bought Xperia P and I must tell you that it has a fantastic display and an excellent camera (seems better from my galaxy note as well).

Only thing I am struggling to find is the task manager. In my galaxy note, I can free up ram by closing unused applications in one click. The task manager with information about RAM status and running apps etc comes on long pressing the middle button. But even after fiddling with xperia p for 3 hours I am unable to figure out, how can I open the task manager!!! Did Sony leave this out. Some of the games do run slow since I am unable to kill applications.

Edit:
Hmmm.... I am playing Homerun Battle and it definitely shows lag. Even with 1 Gb RAM. This game always ran super smooth on my note having 800 mb ram!!

randomuser111

Technomancer
Thanks all, I bought Xperia P and I must tell you that it has a fantastic display and an excellent camera (seems better from my galaxy note as well).

Only thing I am struggling to find is the task manager. In my galaxy note, I can free up ram by closing unused applications in one click. The task manager with information about RAM status and running apps etc comes on long pressing the middle button. But even after fiddling with xperia p for 3 hours I am unable to figure out, how can I open the task manager!!! Did Sony leave this out. Some of the games do run slow since I am unable to kill applications.

Edit:
Hmmm.... I am playing Homerun Battle and it definitely shows lag. Even with 1 Gb RAM. This game always ran super smooth on my note having 800 mb ram!!

That is because your note is running ICS I believe and that is an ICS feature. That functionality isn't available in Gingerbread. To stop applications go to Settings - Applications - Manage applications - running apps and then manually stop.

Also remove the McAfee security app.
And as for the game, restart your device once. It seems some rogue app is causing issues. Try stopping unwanted apps with the above method and report back.

@red dragon

What makes you think Atrix 2 would be better ? :-o It has worse performance than Xperia P. Much worse UI, much worse call quality and the screen is also much worse.

Last edited:

aroraanant

Explorer
hat is an ICS feature. That functionality isn't available in Gingerbread
Buddy the case is different with every phone, my Incredible S is having gingerbread and it has a task manager.

@aaryaan- download a third party task manager from android market(google play)

OP
A

aaryaan

Broken In
Some games do not run very well even with 450-500mb free RAM but that could be game specific too. I have not tried heavy ones. Will report back on that.

Charging is super fast. Gets charged from 0 to 75% in around 1 hour.

The phone though comes with a lot of bloatware and not very well thought out arrangement of widgets on the home screens i.e. not very space or design efficient. Had to fiddle a lot to get it right.

OP
A

aaryaan

Broken In
BTW just to let people know, I got it for 23750 and that too after vigorous bargaining from a non-sony multi-brand outlet.

Regarding rogue app, I checked the RAM usage before testing some games and there was still 400-500mb unused RAM as I mentioned in my previous post. My note runs much heavier games with less than 250 mb available RAM.

Which latest HD game should I try to be absolutely sure?

Top Bottom